Current:Home > MarketsThe NBA and its players have a deal for a new labor agreement -Blueprint Money Mastery
The NBA and its players have a deal for a new labor agreement
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-05 23:24:04
The NBA will have labor peace for years to come.
The league and its players came to an agreement early Saturday on a new seven-year collective bargaining agreement, the NBA announced. It is still pending ratification, though that process is almost certainly no more than a formality.
The deal will begin this summer and will last at least through the 2028-29 season. Either side can opt out then; otherwise, it will last through 2029-30.
Among the details, per a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke to The Associated Press: the in-season tournament that Commissioner Adam Silver has wanted for years will become reality, and players will have to appear in at least 65 games in order to be eligible for the top individual awards such as Most Valuable Player. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because neither the league nor the National Basketball Players Association released specifics publicly.
Another new part of the CBA will be a second luxury tax level that, when reached, will keep teams from using their midlevel exception to sign players. That was a clear compromise, given how some teams wanted the so-called "upper spending limit" that would have essentially installed an absolute ceiling on what can be spent each season and help balance the playing field between the teams that are willing to pay enormous tax bills and those who aren't.
Not in the CBA is a change to the policy that would allow high school players to enter the NBA draft. It was discussed and has been an agenda item for months, but it won't be changing anytime soon — probably not for at least the term of the next CBA.
"We also appreciate that there is a lot of benefit to really having veterans who can bring those 18-year-olds along," NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio said in February during an NBPA news conference at All-Star weekend. "And so, certainly anything that we would even consider, to be quite honest, would have to include a component that would allow veterans to be a part of it as well."
Silver said Wednesday, at the conclusion of a two-day Board of Governors meeting, that he was hopeful of getting a deal done by the weekend. He also said there had been no consideration — at least on the league's part — of pushing the opt-out date back for a third time.
The current CBA, which took effect July 1, 2017, came with a mutual option for either the NBA or the NBPA to opt out after six seasons — June 30 of this year. The sides originally had a Dec. 15 deadline to announce an intention to exercise the opt-out, then pushed it back to Feb. 8, then to Friday.
The league and the union continued talking after the midnight opt-out deadline passed, and a deal was announced nearly three hours later.
The agreement doesn't end the process, though it's obviously a huge step forward.
The owners will have to vote on what the negotiators have hammered out, and the players will have to vote to approve the deal as well. Then comes the actual writing of the document — the most recent CBA checked in at around 600 pages containing nearly 5,000 paragraphs and 200,000 words. Much of it will be the same; much of it will need revising.
veryGood! (73)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 6 protesters arrested as onshore testing work for New Jersey wind farm begins
- Why Jason Kelce Says Brother Travis Kelce Is the Perfect Uncle
- Grand Canyon hiker dies attempting to trek from south rim to north rim in single day
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- U.S. sets record for billion-dollar weather and climate disasters in 2023
- What’s ahead now that Republicans are opening an impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden
- Bebe Rexha to attend MTV Video Music Awards after voicing anxiety, weight scrutiny concerns
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- US poverty rate jumped in 2022, child poverty more than doubled: Census
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- 'Felt the life leave the stadium': Jets bound from Aaron Rodgers' nightmare to Xavier Gipson's joy
- Pulitzer officials expand eligibility in arts categories; some non-U.S. citizens can now compete
- Former NFL receiver Mike Williams dies at age 36 after more than a week in intensive care
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Hurricane Lee swirls through open waters on a path to Atlantic Canada
- Virginia election candidate responds after leak of tapes showing her performing sex acts with husband: It won't silence me
- Apple event reveals new iPhone 15. Here are the biggest changes — and its surprising new price.
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Drew Barrymore dropped as National Book Awards host after her talk show resumes during strike
Student loan forgiveness scams are surging: Full discharge of all your federal student loans
Pakistan court orders 5 siblings of girl found dead near London put into child protection center
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Sarah Burton, who designed Kate's royal wedding dress, to step down from Alexander McQueen
Family, friends gather to celebrate Rowan Wilson’s ascension to chief judge of New York
FBI investigates cybersecurity issue at MGM Resorts while casinos and hotels stay open across US