Current:Home > MySpecial counsel obtained search warrant for Trump's Twitter account in 2020 election probe -Blueprint Money Mastery
Special counsel obtained search warrant for Trump's Twitter account in 2020 election probe
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 17:34:51
Washington — Special counsel Jack Smith obtained a search warrant for information about former President Donald Trump's Twitter account earlier this year as part of his investigation into the aftermath of the 2020 election, court records unsealed Wednesday show.
A ruling by a three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia revealed a lengthy battle that played out behind closed doors between the Justice Department and the Elon Musk-owned social media platform, now known as X. Twitter was ultimately held in civil contempt and fined $350,000 for twice failing to comply with the warrant.
Smith obtained the warrant for data and records pertaining to the Twitter account @realDonaldTrump on Jan. 17, 2023, along with a nondisclosure order prohibiting Twitter from sharing the existence of the warrant or its contents to anyone. The warrant arose from Smith's investigation into Trump's actions after he lost the 2020 presidential election, the appeals court said. Trump was charged with four counts in that probe and pleaded not guilty last week.
Twitter objected to the nondisclosure order, withholding the production of data and records while it challenged that order. A district court rejected that argument and said the company would be held in contempt if it didn't meet a new deadline to produce the records. Twitter missed that second deadline and the court denied Twitter's objections to the nondisclosure agreement, imposing the sanctions. The company fully produced the requested information several days after the deadline.
Twitter asked the appeals court to review the district court's actions, arguing the nondisclosure order violated the First Amendment and that the court abused its authority by issuing the fine and holding it in contempt. The appeals court sided with the lower court in the decision first issued on July 18 and unsealed on Wednesday.
The order revealed that the government "faced difficulties" when it first tried to serve Twitter with the warrant and nondisclosure order.
"On January 17, 2023, the government tried to submit the papers through Twitter's website for legal requests, only to find out that the website was inoperative," it said. "Two days later, on January 19, 2023, the government successfully served Twitter through that website. On January 25, 2023, however, when the government contacted Twitter's counsel to check on the status of Twitter's compliance, Twitter's counsel stated that she 'had not heard anything' about the warrant."
The details of what Twitter handed over about Trump's account were not immediately clear. His account was permanently suspended after the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol, but it was reinstated last year after Musk bought the company. Trump has not returned to tweeting, preferring to use his social media platform Truth Social.
News of the search warrant comes after a federal grand jury indicted Trump for his alleged role in conspiring to alter the outcome of the 2020 presidential election. The former president has insisted that the criminal cases against him are meant to derail his presidential candidacy. He quickly responded to news of the search warrant on Truth Social.
"Just found out that Crooked Joe Biden's DOJ secretly attacked my Twitter account, making it a point not to let me know about this major 'hit' on my civil rights," Trump wrote. "My Political Opponent is going CRAZY trying to infringe on my Campaign for President."
Melissa Quinn contributed reporting.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Kathryn Watson is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (51852)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Retired and still paying a mortgage? You may want to reconsider
- 3 North Carolina tree workers shot and suspect injured during arrest by deputies, officials say
- Following the Journeys of 16 and Pregnant Stars
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- National Tequila Day: What's happening with the spirit and where to get specials
- COVID protocols at Paris Olympic Games: What happens if an athlete tests positive?
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Airline Food
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Hydrothermal explosion at Yellowstone National Park's Biscuit Basin damages part of boardwalk
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Matthew and Camila McConaughey go pantless again to promote tequila brand
- Mistrial declared in case of Indiana man accused of fatally shooting five, including pregnant woman
- Falsehoods about Kamala Harris' citizenship status, racial identity resurface online as she becomes likely Democratic nominee
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Where to watch women's Olympic basketball? Broadcast, streaming schedule for Paris Games
- See Timothée Chalamet sing as Bob Dylan in 'A Complete Unknown' trailer
- NASA releases eye-popping, never-before-seen images of nebulae, galaxies in space
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Review: 'Time Bandits' reboot with Lisa Kudrow is full of tired jokes
Prince Harry Reveals Central Piece of Rift With Royal Family
Cause of crash that killed NY couple at Niagara Falls border crossing still a mystery 8 months later
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Tennessee gas station clerk charged, accused of stealing man's $1 million lottery ticket
Michael Phelps Shares Mental Health Advice for 2024 Paris Olympians
A baffling, dangerous explosion in Yellowstone: What is a hydrothermal explosion?