Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Baton Rouge Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead Baton Rouge schools -Blueprint Money Mastery
Indexbit Exchange:Baton Rouge Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead Baton Rouge schools
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:17:09
BATON ROUGE,Indexbit Exchange La. (AP) — The East Baton Rouge Parish School Board has selected Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead the state’s second-largest traditional school district.
Wednesday’s unanimous vote came after weeks at an impasse following the withdrawal of several top candidates to replace Sito Narcisse who left the system in January six weeks after the School Board voted 5-4 to not renew his contract.
The decision comes just two weeks before students return Aug. 8 for the new school year and a day before State Superintendent of Education Cade Brumley planned to take unspecified action to compel the selection of a new superintendent.
Cole jumped in Tuesday after sitting out the initial round of applications held last month. He immediately rose to the top of the second round of applicants. Four hours after the application deadline, Cole was selected as the lone finalist and immediately sat for a 90-minute interview, The Advocate reported.
“I’m not remotely interested in leading a district that is just good,” Cole told board members. “I want our district to be great.”
Cole has spent 26 years in education in Baton Rouge. The past 13 have been as chief academic officer for CSAL Inc., a Baton Rouge-based charter school network. He also spent several years working for the parish school system, including stints as principal at both Capitol and Park Forest middle schools. The biggest hole in his résumé is a lack of experience as a Central Office administrator.
“Baton Rouge, this is my home. This is the city I love and I care about it so much,” Cole said, choked up with emotion.
Cole made clear his mission is more than just the 40,000 students enrolled in the school district.
“All of the children in this city are our students whether they go to our schools or not,” Cole said. “If they are eligible to attend one of our schools, we have to be concerned about the education they are receiving wherever they are and we have to be willing to own that responsibility.”
In a statement after the vote, Brumley spoke positively of the board’s action Wednesday.
“I’m encouraged by the board’s decision to come together around a new superintendent. Choosing a system leader is a core responsibility of a board, but the true work lies ahead,” Brumley said. “Too many students lack a basic education and graduate without the skills to lead a productive life. Too many teaching positions go unfilled. Too many families are trapped in failing schools. For Louisiana to succeed, we need East Baton Rouge to succeed.”
Cole’s path to the job was made easier when Narcisse withdrew his application minutes before interviews were to begin. Adam Smith had served as interim superintendent, but his six-month contract expired Tuesday, putting the district into legal uncertainty.
In response to a question from board member Mike Gaudet, Cole said, if hired, he would withdraw immediately from seeking re-election to District 7 this fall and would immediately start the process of leaving the Metro Council. Cole was first appointed to the seat in 2016 after his predecessor, state Rep. C. Denise Marcelle, was elected to the legislature. His current term ends in December.
veryGood! (3151)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- 384-square foot home in Silicon Valley sells for $1.7 million after going viral
- Apple pulls WhatsApp and Threads from App Store on Beijing’s orders
- Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman transforms franchise post-LeBron James
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- San Francisco restaurant owner goes on 30-day hunger strike over new bike lane
- Third person dies after a Connecticut fire that also killed a baby and has been labeled a crime
- Tyler Cameron Cancels Golden Bachelor's Gerry Turner and Theresa Nist After Their Split
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Look what you made her do: Taylor Swift is an American icon, regardless of what you think
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Group caught on camera pulling bear cubs from tree to take pictures with them
- More remains found along Lake Michigan linked to murder of college student Sade Robinson
- Paris Hilton Shares First Photos of Her and Carter Reum's Baby Girl London
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Cleveland Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman transforms franchise post-LeBron James
- Owner of Bob Baffert-trained Arkansas Derby winner Muth appeals denial to run in the Kentucky Derby
- BNSF Railway says it didn’t know about asbestos that’s killed hundreds in Montana town
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Biden administration restricts oil and gas leasing in 13 million acres of Alaska’s petroleum reserve
Beyoncé's 'Cowboy Carter' is boosting many different industries. Here are few
Police called in to North Dakota state forensic examiner’s office before her firing
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
4 suspects in murder of Kansas moms denied bond
Tesla recalling nearly 4,000 Cybertrucks because accelerator pedal can get stuck
Proud Boys group leader sentenced to over 5 years in prison for attacking police during Capitol riot