Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim -Blueprint Money Mastery
Algosensey|New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 13:34:56
BRENTWOOD,Algosensey N.Y. (AP) — Law enforcement officials are set to release new information Monday about one of the victims whose remains were found along a coastal highway in New York’s Long Island more than a decade ago, a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement that the task force investigating the killings will also discuss other developments in the yearslong investigation.
Spokespersons for Tierney’s office did not respond to emails and calls seeking additional information over the weekend.
Tierney told Newsday that among the things the office will discuss are new, more detailed renderings of a male of Asian descent whose remains were found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.
Investigators have said they believe the unidentified man died five to 10 years earlier.
They say he was likely in his late teens or early 20s, was about 5 feet 6 inches (170 centimers) tall and had close-cropped hair. The victim was dressed in women’s clothing and may have been a sex worker, officials said at the time.
Officials will publish renderings of what he may have looked like that were made through anthropological reconstruction, Newsday reported. The hope is they may generate new leads.
Local officials released a more basic sketch of the victim back in 2011.
DNA records from Asian people is less common in U.S. genetic databases, making it difficult to compare and identify the remains through traditional methods, according to Tierney.
“We’re hoping maybe someone will remember a person who looked like him that disappeared in the time frame when he died,” he told Newsday.
No one has been charged in the death. A local architect is accused in the killings of six women, some of whose remains were found near the unidentified man’s.
Rex Heuermann, 61, was arraigned in June in connection with the deaths of two young women long believed to have been preyed upon as sex workers.
The charges came after recent police searches of Heuermann’s home and a wooded area on Long Island.
Jessica Taylor disappeared in 2003 and Sandra Costilla was killed 30 years ago, in 1993.
Costilla’s inclusion in the case indicates prosecutors now believe Heuermann was killing women far longer than previously thought.
Heuermann was previously charged with killing four others: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people — mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway near Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann, who lived across the bay, was arrested last July.
He has pleaded not guilty and his attorney, Michael Brown, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment over the weekend.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Investigators probe Indiana plane crash that killed pilot, 82
- The Latest: Harris-Trump debate sets up sprint to election day as first ballots go out in Alabama
- Madonna shocks at star-studded Luar NYFW show with Offset modeling, Ice Spice in front row
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- A residential care worker gets prison in Maine for assaults on a disabled man
- Niners, Jordan Mason offer potentially conflicting accounts of when he knew he'd start
- Katy Perry Reacts to Viral Photo of Orlando Bloom Appearing to Check Out Kim Kardashian
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Dolphins coaches, players react to ‘emotional’ and ‘triggering’ footage of Tyreek Hill traffic stop
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- 'It just went from 0 to 60': Tyreek Hill discusses confrontation with Miami police
- MTV’s Teen Mom Reveals How Amber Portwood Handled the Disappearance of Then-Fiancé Gary Wayt
- Exclusive: Loungefly Launches New Star Wars Mini Backpack & Crossbody Bag in Collaboration With Lucasfilm
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- LL Flooring changing name back to Lumber Liquidators, selling 219 stores to new owner
- Hawaii voters asked to ensure protection of same-sex marriage
- Taylor Swift endorses Kamala Harris for president after debate ends
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Bachelorette's Devin Strader Breaks Silence on Jenn Tran Finale Fallout
Ohio is sending troopers and $2.5 million to city inundated with Haitian migrants
NFL Week 2 odds: Moneylines, point spreads, over/under
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Auburn QB Thorne says angry bettors sent him Venmo requests after loss
Detroit-area officer sentenced to prison for assaulting man after his arrest
Do drivers need to roll down their windows during a traffic stop?