Current:Home > StocksNorth Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots -Blueprint Money Mastery
North Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:00:12
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina judge refused to take Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s name off presidential ballots in the battleground state on Thursday, a day before the first batches of November absentee ballots are slated to be sent to registered voters who requested them.
Wake County Superior Court Judge Rebecca Holt denied the temporary restraining order sought by Kennedy to prevent county elections boards from distributing ballots affixed with his name and requiring it to be removed. State law directs the first absentee ballots for the Nov. 5 elections be mailed to requesters starting Friday. A Kennedy attorney said the decision would be appealed and Holt gave him 24 hours, meaning counties likely won’t send out ballots immediately Friday morning.
Kennedy got on the ballot in July as the nominee of the new We The People party created by his supporters. The elections board gave official recognition to the party after it collected enough voter signatures. But Kennedy suspended his campaign two weeks ago and endorsed Republican nominee Donald Trump. Since then the environmentalist and author has tried to get his name removed from ballots in several states where the race between Trump and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris are expected to be close.
In North Carolina, Kennedy and We The People of North Carolina wrote to the board asking for his name be withdrawn. But on a party-line vote Aug. 29 the board’s Democratic members denied the party’s request, calling it impractical given the actions already completed to begin ballot distribution on Sept. 6. Kennedy sued the next day.
North Carolina is slated to be the first state in the nation to distribute fall election ballots. County elections offices were expected Friday to send absentee ballots to more than 125,000 in-state and military and overseas voters who asked for them. And over 2.9 million absentee and in-person ballots overall had already been printed statewide as of Wednesday, state elections Executive Director Karen Brinson Bell said in an affidavit.
The process of reprinting ballots without Kennedy’s name and reassembling ballot requests would take at least two weeks, state attorneys said, threatening to miss a federal requirement that ballots be released to military and overseas voters by Sept. 21. But Kennedy lawyer Phil Strach argued in court that Kennedy complied with state law by presenting a written request to step down as the candidate, and that there’s another law allowing the ballot release be delayed under this circumstance. Otherwise, Kennedy’s free-speech rights in the state constitution forcing him to remain on the ballot against his will have been violated, Strach told Holt.
“This is very straight forward case about ballot integrity and following the law,” Strach said, adding that keeping Kennedy on the ballot would bring confusion to voters who thought he was no longer a candidate.
But Special Deputy Attorney General Carla Babb said the confusion would occur if ballot distribution was delayed, potentially forcing the state to have to seek a waiver of the Sept. 21 federal deadline. State laws and regulations gave the elections board the ability to reject Kennedy’s withdrawal based on whether it was practical to have the ballots reprinted, she said.
“Elections are not just a game and states are not obligated to honor the whims of candidates for office,” Babb told Holt.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
In rejecting Kennedy’s request, Holt said that while the harm imposed upon Kennedy for staying on ballots is minimal, the harm to the state board with such an order would be substantial, such as the reprinting of ballots at considerable cost to taxpayers.
While Kennedy was still an active candidate, the North Carolina Democratic Party unsuccessfully challenged in court the state board’s decision to certify We The People as a party.
Kennedy on Wednesday sued in Wisconsin to get his name removed from the presidential ballot there after the state elections commission voted to keep him on it. Kennedy also filed a lawsuit in Michigan but a judge ruled Tuesday that he must remain on the ballot there.
veryGood! (124)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Donald Trump Declares I Hate Taylor Swift After She Endorses Kamala Harris
- Donald Trump misgenders reggaeton star Nicky Jam at rally: 'She's hot'
- ‘Shogun,’ ‘The Bear’ and ‘Baby Reindeer’ are at the top of the queue as the Emmys arrive
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- 2024 Emmys Hosts Dan Levy and Eugene Levy Beg You To Say Their Last Name Correctly
- Emmy Awards 2024: Complete Winners List
- Man pleads no contest in 2019 sword deaths of father, stepmother in Pennsylvania home
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Police: 4 killed after multi-vehicle crash in southeast Dallas
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Another World Series hangover. Defending champion Rangers fail to repeat
- This city is hailed as a vaccination success. Can it be sustained?
- 2024 Emmys Hosts Dan Levy and Eugene Levy Beg You To Say Their Last Name Correctly
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- 2024 Emmy Awards: Here Are All the Candid Moments You Missed on TV
- Perry Farrell's Wife Defends Jane's Addiction Singer After His Onstage Altercation With Dave Navarro
- 2024 Emmys: Jennifer Aniston, Brie Larson, Selena Gomez and More Best Dressed Stars on the Red Carpet
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Cooper Kupp injury updates: Rams WR exits game vs. Cardinals with ankle injury
What did the Texans trade for Stefon Diggs? Revisiting Houston's deal for former Bills WR
Hispanic Heritage Month puts diversity and culture at the forefront
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Eugene Levy takes jab at 'The Bear' being a comedy in hilarious Emmys opening
Quentin Johnston personifies Jim Harbaugh effect for 2-0 Los Angeles Chargers
King Charles III and Prince William wish Prince Harry a happy birthday amid family rift