Current:Home > StocksTexas man who threatened poll workers and Arizona officials is sentenced to 3 1/2 years -Blueprint Money Mastery
Texas man who threatened poll workers and Arizona officials is sentenced to 3 1/2 years
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:35:05
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — A Texas man who advocated for a mass shooting of poll workers and threatened two Arizona officials and their children has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years in federal prison, prosecutors said Friday.
Frederick Francis Goltz, 52, of Lubbock, pleaded guilty earlier this year to interstate threatening communications. Goltz was sentenced Thursday by U.S. District Judge James Wesley Hendrix, who also ordered three years of supervised release following the prison term.
The U.S. saw a proliferation of threats against elections officials after former President Donald Trump falsely claimed that the 2020 election was stolen from him. Such threats contributed to an exodus of election officials across the country, and made recruiting poll workers difficult.
Trump, a Republican, was indicted on felony charges earlier this week for working to overturn the results of the 2020 election in the run-up to the violent U.S. Capitol riot by his supporters.
Prosecutors say court documents showed that Goltz threatened several people — including a lawyer with the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office and a Maricopa County elections official — on far-right social media platforms.
Maricopa County, which encompasses Phoenix, became a target of Trump supporters after Democratic President Joe Biden won Arizona by more than 10,000 votes, with Maricopa County putting him over the top. But even a Republican-backed review of the election in the county ended without producing proof to support Trump’s false claims of a stolen election.
In plea papers, Goltz admitted that on Nov. 21, 2022, he posted the lawyer’s name and a home address and telephone number on social media, writing: “It would be a shame if someone got to this children.” On the same date, in response to another post referring to other Maricopa County officials, he wrote: “Someone needs to get these people AND their children. The children are the most important message to send.”
Prosecutors say court records show that two days later, Goltz responded to a post about the elections official with the comment, “He’s got a WIFE that is a lawyer, too. We need to find out her name and where she works. I don’t think he has kids, but I’m not 100% on that.” In response to another user who said that kids should be “off limits,” Goltz responded: “NOTHING is off limits.”
Prosecutors say that an FBI investigation found Goltz had a long history of making threatening statements against a variety of people. Court records showed that in November 2022, he advocated for “a mass shooting of poll workers and election officials” in precincts he believed had “suspect” results.
veryGood! (46238)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Video games are tough on you because they love you
- Gwyneth Paltrow Appears in Court for Ski Crash Trial in Utah: Everything to Know
- Chaos reigns at Twitter as Musk manages 'by whims'
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Israel strikes Gaza homes of Palestinian Islamic Jihad militants, killing commanders and their children
- Nigeria boat accident leaves 15 children dead and 25 more missing
- Twitter begins advertising a paid verification plan for $8 per month
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- FTC sues to block the $69 billion Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Jason Ritter Reveals Which of His Roles Would Be His Dad's Favorite
- A kangaroo boom could be looming in Australia. Some say the solution is to shoot them before they starve to death.
- Below Deck's Ben Willoughby Shares Surprising Update About His Boatmance With Camille Lamb
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Facebook parent Meta is having a no-good, horrible day after dismal earnings report
- Elon Musk said Twitter wouldn't become a 'hellscape.' It's already changing
- K-Pop Star Chaeyoung of TWICE Apologizes for Wearing Swastika on T-Shirt
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Find a new job in 60 days: tech layoffs put immigrant workers on a ticking clock
Indian Matchmaking Season 3 Has a Premiere Date and First Look Photos
Meet The Everyday Crypto Investors Caught Up In The FTX Implosion
Travis Hunter, the 2
U.N. calls on Taliban to halt executions as Afghanistan's rulers say 175 people sentenced to death since 2021
Brazen, amateurish Tokyo heist highlights rising trend as Japan's gangs lure desperate youth into crime
Lucy Liu Reveals She Took Nude Portraits of Drew Barrymore During Charlie’s Angels