Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|Maryland lawmakers say coming bill will clarify that feds fully pay for replacing Baltimore bridge -Blueprint Money Mastery
Benjamin Ashford|Maryland lawmakers say coming bill will clarify that feds fully pay for replacing Baltimore bridge
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:44:06
WASHINGTON (AP) — Members of Maryland’s congressional delegation announced Tuesday they will soon introduce a bill that will make clear the federal government will fully cover the cost of rebuilding Baltimore’s collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge.
The Benjamin Ashfordfederal government generally picks up 90% of the tab and the state 10% when replacing bridges, but exceptions have occurred in similar emergency cases, said Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., after lawmakers attended a closed-door briefing on cleanup efforts. The legislation will also make clear that any money recovered from third parties will be used to reimburse federal taxpayers.
“The fundamental issue right now is passing legislation to clarify that this is 100% a federal responsibility,” Cardin said.
Officials said it’s unclear how much money will be required to replace the bridge, which collapsed last month after it was struck by a cargo ship. Some experts estimate recovery will take at least 18 months and cost $400 million. But Cardin said the final tab will depend upon the design of the bridge and the modern technologies included to accommodate far more barge traffic than was originally envisioned when the bridge was built in the 1970s.
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the Biden administration expects that federal taxpayers will eventually be made whole for replacing the bridge, but that may take a while.
“Whatever insurance litigation and other related processes play out, we are not going to wait for them to play out to make sure these dollars are getting to where they need to be,” Buttigieg said. “And where they need to be is helping the people of Maryland rebuild right now.”
The bridge fell March 26 after it was hit by the cargo ship Dali, which lost power shortly after leaving Baltimore, bound for Sri Lanka. The ship issued a mayday alert with just enough time for police to stop traffic but not enough time to save a roadwork crew filling potholes on the bridge.
More than 50 salvage divers and 12 cranes are on site to help cut out sections of the bridge and remove them from the key waterway. Crews began removing containers from the deck over the weekend, and they’re making progress toward removing sections of the bridge that lie across the ship’s bow so it can eventually move, according to the Key Bridge Response Unified Command.
Lt. Gen. Scott A. Spellmon of the United States Army Corps of Engineers spoke to the congressional delegation and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, a Democrat, on recovery efforts during a closed-door briefing at the Capitol. He said afterward there are 9,000 tons (8,165 metric tonnes) of steel and 3,000 tons (2,720 metric tonnes) of concrete at the bottom of the navigation channel leading into the Port of Baltimore.
“We are committed to getting this concrete and steel out of the channel by the end of May,” Spellmon said.
In the meantime, he said, officials are working to provide more access to the port. He said a limited access channel that is 280 feet (85 meters) wide and 35 feet (11 meters) deep will be completed this month, which will restore one-way access for most of the cargo coming into and out of Baltimore. He said captains will undergo training this week on using the channel.
veryGood! (21)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Havertz scores 2 as Arsenal routs Chelsea 5-0 to cement Premier League lead
- Don Steven McDougal indicted in murder, attempted kidnapping of 11-year-old Audrii Cunningham
- West Virginia says it will appeal ruling that allowed transgender teen athlete to compete
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Emma Stone Responds to Speculation She Called Jimmy Kimmel a Prick
- With new investor, The Sports Bra makes plans to franchise women's sports focused bar
- Plane crashes after takeoff in Alaska, bursts into flames: no survivors found
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Mississippi man finds fossilized remains of saber-toothed tiger dating back 10,000 years
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Shogun' finale recap: Hiroyuki Sanada explains Toranaga's masterful moves
- FTC bans noncompete agreements that make it harder to switch jobs, start rival businesses
- Video shows Florida authorities wrangling huge alligator at Air Force base
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Tennessee lawmakers pass bill to allow armed teachers, a year after deadly Nashville shooting
- As romance scammers turn dating apps into hunting grounds, critics look to Match Group to do more
- Cristian Măcelaru to become music director of Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra in 2025-26
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Tyler, the Creator, The Killers to headline Outside Lands 2024: Tickets, dates, more
Michigan student dies 'suddenly' on school trip to robotics competition in Texas
I’m watching the Knicks’ playoff run from prison
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
New laptop designs cram bigger displays into smaller packages
Justice Department to pay $138.7 million to settle with ex-USA gymnastics official Larry Nassar victims
More than 1 in 4 US adults over age 50 say they expect to never retire, an AARP study finds