Current:Home > MyContract talks between Hollywood studios and actors break down again -Blueprint Money Mastery
Contract talks between Hollywood studios and actors break down again
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 13:35:03
Contract negotiations between Hollywood studios and streaming companies and the performers' union SAG-AFTRA have broken down once again. So for now, the nearly three-month-long strike continues.
The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents the major studios, announced in a statement that the gap between their proposals and the union's was "too great" and that conversations "are no longer moving us in a productive direction."
Just two weeks ago, the studio heads of Disney, Netflix, NBC Universal and Warner Brothers Discovery had resumed negotiating with SAG-AFTRA, which represents 160,000 actors, dancers, voiceover artists and stunt performers. The first round of their contract negotiations stalled in mid-July, and union members began to strike, joining striking screenwriters who had walked off their jobs in May.
[Note: Many NPR News employees are members of SAG-AFTRA, but are under a different contract and are not on strike.]
The AMPTP said in particular, demands for cast members to get a "viewership bonus" — a cut of streaming platform revenues — would be "an untenable burden" that would cost more than $800 million a year. The AMPTP also said it did agree to require consent for the use of artificial intelligence, both for principal and background actors. The alliance also said the union presented "few, if any, moves on the numerous remaining open items."
In response, SAG-AFTRA's negotiating committee sent out a release expressing "profound sadness" that the industry CEOs have walked away from the bargaining table. The union said the alliance overestimated the guild's streaming residuals proposal by 60 percent, and that it only cost the streaming platforms 57 cents per subscriber per year.
The union accused the studios of using "bully tactics" to reject and intentionally misrepresent their proposals, and said it had made a "big, meaningful" counter offers.
"These companies refuse to protect performers from being replaced by AI, they refuse to increase your wages to keep up with inflation, and they refuse to share a tiny portion of the immense revenue YOUR work generates for them," the statement read. "The companies are using the same failed strategy they tried to inflict on the WGA – putting out misleading information in an attempt to fool our members into abandoning our solidarity and putting pressure on our negotiators. But, just like the writers, our members are smarter than that and will not be fooled."
The union called on its members to continue to picket outside studios. They have been joined in solidarity by other Hollywood workers, including screenwriters in the Writers Guild of America. On Monday, the WGA members voted to approve the contract their leaders made with the AMPTP, ending their nearly five month strike.
veryGood! (764)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Polish government plans referendum asking if voters want ‘thousands of illegal immigrants’
- Hawaii trauma surgeon says Maui hospital is holding up really well amid wildfires
- US judge clears Nevada mustang roundup to continue despite deaths of 31 wild horses
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Colorado coach Deion Sanders says last year's team had 'dead eyes', happy with progress
- A slightly sadistic experiment aims to find out why heat drives up global conflict
- 3 former GOP operatives to pay $50K for roles in a fake charity tied to E. Palestine derailment
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Sioux Falls police officer was justified in shooting burglary suspect, attorney general says
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Adam Sandler, family team up for 'You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah': Release date, cast, trailer
- Tia Mowry's Past Breastfeeding Struggles Are All Too Relatable
- Classes still off early next week in Kentucky’s largest school district due to bus schedule mess
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Bills safety Damar Hamlin makes 'remarkable' return to field after cardiac arrest
- Lawsuit targets Wisconsin legislative districts resembling Swiss cheese
- Lahaina residents worry a rebuilt Maui town could slip into the hands of affluent outsiders
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
2 men have been indicted for an 8-year-old’s shooting death in Virginia last year
How to watch Hip Hop 50 Live at Yankee Stadium with Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and Run-D.M.C.
California judge who's charged with murder allegedly texted court staff: I just shot my wife. I won't be in tomorrow.
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Robbie Robertson, guitarist for The Band, dies at age 80
Fatal house fire kills 1 teenager and 2 adults in North Carolina’s Outer Banks
Pottery Barn Put Thousands of Items on Sale: Here Are the Best Deals as Low as $6