Current:Home > ScamsFlorida family whose roof hit by debris from space station sues NASA for damages -Blueprint Money Mastery
Florida family whose roof hit by debris from space station sues NASA for damages
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:18:52
A Florida family whose house was hit by a chunk of space junk earlier this year announced last week that they are suing NASA for damages.
A cylindrical object tore through the home of Alejandro Otero in Naples on March 8. He told CBS Fort Meyers, Fla., affiliate WINK-TV that his son called him about the crashing object while he was on vacation.
"I was shaking. I was completely in disbelief. What are the chances of something landing on my house with such force to cause so much damage," Otero said. "I'm super grateful that nobody got hurt."
The object was subsequently taken to the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral for analysis.
NASA confirmed in April that it was a metal support used to mount old batteries on a cargo pallet for disposal. The pallet was jettisoned from the space station in 2021 and the load was expected to eventually fully burn up on entry into Earth's atmosphere, but one piece survived.
Now, the family is pursuing NASA in compensation for damages. The law firm Cranfill Sumner said in a press release this week that it filed a claim on behalf of Otero and his family.
The family cites damages for non-insured property, business interruption, emotional and mental anguish, and the cost of assistance from third-party agencies.
Attorney Mica Nguyen Worthy said in a statement that this incident is a real-life example that space debris is a "real serious issue because of the increase in space traffic in recent years."
"My clients are seeking adequate compensation to account for the stress and impact that this event had on their lives," attorney Mica Nguyen Worthy said in a statement. "They are grateful that no one sustained physical injuries from this incident, but a 'near miss' situation such as this could have been catastrophic. If the debris had hit a few feet in another direction, there could have been serious injury or a fatality."
Worthy said the case seeks to set a precedent for space debris claims in the private and public sectors.
NASA has six months to respond to the claims.
- In:
- International Space Station
- Florida
- Space
- NASA
veryGood! (64)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Germany’s Deutsche Bahn sells European subsidiary Arriva to infrastructure investor I Squared
- Germany’s Deutsche Bahn sells European subsidiary Arriva to infrastructure investor I Squared
- Sen. Maria Cantwell says she wants any NIL legislation to also address NCAA athletes' rights
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Execution of Idaho’s longest-serving death row inmate delayed for sentence review hearing
- Remains of at least 189 people removed from funeral home that offered green burials without embalming fluid
- Some Americans saw big gains in wealth during the pandemic. Here's why.
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Watch: Frosty the white orca seen hunting with pod off California in 'incredible encounter'
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Sen. Maria Cantwell says she wants any NIL legislation to also address NCAA athletes' rights
- Pakistan’s ex-leader Nawaz Sharif seeks protection from arrest ahead of return from voluntary exile
- Here's Sweet Proof John Legend's 3-Month-Old Son Wren Is His Twin
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Indonesian presidential candidates register for next year’s elections as supporters cheer
- Britney Spears Accuses Justin Timberlake of Cheating on Her With Another Celebrity
- Video of injured deer sparks calls for animal cruelty charge for Vermont hunter
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
A man’s death is under investigation after his body was mistaken for a training dummy, police say
Chipotle's Halloween Boorito deal: No costume, later hours and free hot sauce
Detroit child playing in backyard mauled to death by 1 or 2 dogs
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Lionel Messi earns $20.4 million under contract with Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami
John Kirby: Significant progress made on humanitarian assistance to Gaza but nothing flowing right now
Small plane that crashed into New Hampshire lake had started to climb from descent, report says