Current:Home > FinanceEuropean Union calls for an investigation into the massacre of nearly 100 civilians in Burkina Faso -Blueprint Money Mastery
European Union calls for an investigation into the massacre of nearly 100 civilians in Burkina Faso
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 14:19:21
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The European Union is calling for an investigation into the massacre of nearly 100 civilians including women and children in Burkina Faso.
The killings took place in the village of Zaongo in the Center-North region earlier this month, the EU said in a statement Sunday.
“The European Union calls on the transitional authorities to shed light on the circumstances of this killing in order to determine responsibility,” it said.
It’s unclear who perpetrated the attacks, Burkina Faso’s government didn’t respond to a request for comment.
The West African nation has been grappling with a jihadi insurgency linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group for years. Thousands of people have been killed and more than 2 million internally displaced.
The violence has led to two coups, with the current junta seizing power in September 2022. The junta, led by Capt. Ibrahim Traore, has been accused by rights groups of committing abuses against civilians and cracking down on civil liberties, in the name of securing the country.
Earlier this month the junta enacted an emergency law against perceived dissidents to expand its crackdown, according to a report by Human Rights Watch. It notified at least a dozen journalists, civil society activists and opposition members that they’ll be conscripted to participate in government security operations across the country, the report said.
In its attempt to stem the jihadi threat, the government has enlisted tens of thousands of volunteer fighters, but civilians say the volunteers indiscriminately kill people suspected of working with the jihadis. Many communities say they’re more afraid of the volunteers than the extremists.
In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, last week, Molly Phee, head of African affairs at the U.S. State Department, said she was “shocked and saddened” by the news of the killings in Zaongo and urged authorities to investigate and hold those responsible to account.
veryGood! (391)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Percentage of TikTok users who get their news from the app has nearly doubled since 2020, new survey shows
- How do cheap cell phone plans make money? And other questions
- Matson’s journey as UNC’s 23-year-old field hockey coach reaches the brink of another NCAA title
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Alaska National Guard performs medical mission while shuttling Santa to give gifts to rural village
- 'Modern Family' reunion: See photos of the cast, including Sofía Vergara, Sarah Hyland
- Guatemala prosecutors pursue president-elect and student protesters over campus takeover
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Adriana Lima Has the Ultimate Clapback to Critical Comments About Her Appearance
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- New drill bores deeper into tunnel rubble in India to create an escape pipe for 40 trapped workers
- AP PHOTOS: Mongolia’s herders fight climate change with their own adaptability and new technology
- 81 arrested as APEC summit protest shuts down the Bay Bridge in San Francisco
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Illinois earmarks $160 million to keep migrants warm in Chicago as winter approaches
- 5 tennis players were suspended for match-fixing in a case tied to a Belgian syndicate
- ‘Bring them home': As the battle for Gaza rages, hostage families wait with trepidation
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Details Revealed on Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Baby Boy Rocky Thirteen
Wisconsin wildlife officials won’t seek charges against bow hunter who killed cougar
Green Bay police officer will resign after pleading no contest to hitting a man with his squad car
Sam Taylor
Former patients file complaints against Army amid sexual assault investigation of military doctor
Wisconsin wildlife officials won’t seek charges against bow hunter who killed cougar
Climate change in Texas science textbooks causes divisions on state’s education board