Current:Home > ContactAfter trying to buck trend, newspaper founded with Ralph Nader’s succumbs to financial woes -Blueprint Money Mastery
After trying to buck trend, newspaper founded with Ralph Nader’s succumbs to financial woes
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 17:15:37
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — After trying to buck a national trend of media closures and downsizing, a small Connecticut newspaper founded earlier this year with Ralph Nader’s help has succumbed to financial problems and will be shutting down.
An oversight board voted Monday to close the Winsted Citizen, a broadsheet that served Nader’s hometown and surrounding area in the northwestern hills of the state since February.
Andy Thibault, a veteran journalist who led the paper as editor and publisher, announced the closure in a memo to staff.
“We beat the Grim Reaper every month for most of the year,” Thibault wrote. ”Our best month financially resulted in our lowest deficit. Now, our quest regrettably has become the impossible dream. It sure was great — despite numerous stumbles, obstacles and heartaches — while it lasted.”
Nader, 89, the noted consumer advocate and four-time presidential candidate, did not answer the phone at his Winsted home Monday morning.
The Citizen’s fate is similar to those of other newspapers that have been dying at an alarming rate because of declining ad and circulation revenue. The U.S. has lost nearly 2,900 newspapers since 2005, including more than 130 confirmed closings or mergers over the past year, according to a report released this month by the Northwestern/Medill Local News Initiative.
By the end of next year, it is expected that about a third of U.S. newspapers will have closed since 2005, the report said.
In an interview with The Associated Press in February, Nader lamented the losses of the long-gone Winsted daily paper he delivered while growing up and a modern successor paper that stopped publishing in 2017.
“After awhile it all congeals and you start losing history,” he said. “Every year you don’t have a newspaper, you lose that connection.”
Nader had hoped the Citizen would become a model for the country, saying people were tired of reading news online and missed the feel of holding a newspaper to read about their town. He invested $15,000 to help it start up, and the plan was to have advertising, donations and subscriptions sustain monthly editions.
The paper published nine editions and listed 17 reporters on its early mastheads. It’s motto: “It’s your paper. We work for you.”
In his memo to staff, Thibault said the Citizen managed to increase ad revenue and circulation but could not overcome an “untenable deficit.”
“Many staff members became donors of services rather than wage earners,” he wrote, “This was the result of under-capitalization.”
The money problems appeared to have started early. Funding for the second edition fell through and the Citizen formed a partnership with the online news provider ctexaminer.com, which posted Citizen stories while the paper shared CT Examiner articles, Thibault said.
Thibault said CT Examiner has agreed to consider publishing work by former Citizen staffers.
The Citizen was overseen by the nonprofit Connecticut News Consortium, whose board voted to close it Monday.
veryGood! (5333)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Patients face longer trips, less access to health care after Walmart shuts clinics
- Patients face longer trips, less access to health care after Walmart shuts clinics
- New Jersey lawmakers pass overhaul of state’s open records law
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- New Mexico forges rule for treatment and reuse of oil-industry fracking water amid protests
- Ohio police officer shot and killed after being ambushed by gunman, authorities say
- Brittney Griner out indefinitely with toe injury for Phoenix Mercury to start WNBA season
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Dispute over transgender woman admitted to Wyoming sorority to be argued before appeal judges
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Third Real Housewives of Potomac Star Exits Amid Major Season 9 Cast Shakeup
- UNC board slashes diversity program funding to divert money to public safety resources
- Roku Channel to carry MLB games each Sunday as part of 'Sunday Leadoff'
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Travis Barker’s Extravagant Mother’s Day Gift to Kourtney Kardashian Is No Small Thing
- Caitlin Clark back in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Connecticut Sun Tuesday
- Q&A: How the Drug War and Energy Transition Are Changing Ecuadorians’ Fight For The Rights of Nature
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Nevada Supreme Court rejects teachers union-backed appeal to put A’s public funding on ’24 ballot
Jake Paul the villain? Boxer discusses meeting Mike Tyson face to face before their fight
FDA said it never inspected dental lab that made controversial AGGA device
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Feds accuse Rhode Island of warehousing kids with mental health, developmental disabilities
Maine to spend $25 million to rebuild waterfront after devastating winter storms and flooding
Cleveland Guardians latest MLB team to show off new City Connect uniforms