Current:Home > StocksConvicted sex offender found guilty of hacking jumbotron at the Jacksonville Jaguars’ stadium -Blueprint Money Mastery
Convicted sex offender found guilty of hacking jumbotron at the Jacksonville Jaguars’ stadium
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 13:36:32
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A convicted child molester was found guilty Friday of hacking the jumbotron at the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium after the team learned he was a registered sex offender and fired him.
The federal jury found 53-year-old Samuel Arthur Thompson, of St. Augustine, guilty of producing, receiving and possessing sexual images of children, producing such images while required to register as a sex offender, violating the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, sending unauthorized damaging commands to a protected computer and possessing a firearm as a convicted felon, according to court records.
Thompson faces a mandatory minimum of 35 years in prison when he’s sentenced March 25.
Thompson was arrested in early 2020 after being deported by the Philippines back to the U.S., officials said. He had fled to the Southeast Asia country about six months earlier, after the FBI executed a search warrant at his home a seized several of his computers, according to a criminal complaint.
According to court records, Thompson was convicted of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy in Alabama in 1998. Among other things, the conviction required him to register as a sex offender and to report any international travel.
The Jaguars hired Thompson as a contractor in 2013 to consult on the design and installation of their new video board network and later to operate the jumbotron on gamedays, investigators said. The team chose not to renew his contract in 2018 after learning of his conviction and status as a sex offender.
According to prosecutors, before Thompson’s contract ended in March 2018, he installed remote access software on a spare server in the Jaguars’ server room. He then remotely accessed computers that control the jumbotron during three 2018 season games, causing the video boards to malfunction repeatedly.
The Jaguars eventually found the spare server and removed its access to the jumbotron, prosecutors said. The next time the server was accessed during a game, the team was able to collect network information about the intruder, which the FBI traced to Thompson’s home, prosecutors said.
The FBI executed a search warrant at Thompson’s residence in July 2019 and seized a phone, a tablet and two laptops, which had all be used to access the spare jumbotron server, according to log files. Agents also said they seized a firearm, which Thompson was prohibited from possessing as a convicted felon.
The FBI also found thousands of images and hundreds of videos of child sexual abuse on the devices. The files included videos and images that Thompson had produced a month before the raid on his home that depicted children that had been in his care and custody, investigators said.
veryGood! (51525)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Reveals How She and Ex-Fiancé Ken Urker Ended Up Back Together
- Over 40% of Americans see China as an enemy, a Pew report shows. That’s a five-year high
- Texas man sentenced to 5 years in prison for threat to attack Turning Point USA convention in 2022
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Anne Hathaway on 'The Idea of You,' rom-coms and her Paul McCartney Coachella moment
- Biden expands 2 national monuments in California significant to tribal nations
- A man is charged with causing a car crash that killed an on-duty Tucson police officer in March
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Powerball winning numbers for May 1: Jackpot rises to $203 million with no winners
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- A man is charged with causing a car crash that killed an on-duty Tucson police officer in March
- Historic Agreement with the Federal Government and Arizona Gives Colorado River Indian Tribes Control Over Use of Their Water off Tribal Land
- Senators want limits on the government’s use of facial recognition technology for airport screening
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- A new Statehouse and related projects will cost about $400 million
- A retired teacher saw inspiration in Columbia’s protests. Eric Adams called her an outside agitator
- Kenya floods death toll nears 170 as president vows help for his country's victims of climate change
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Erica Wheeler may lose her starting spot to Caitlin Clark. Why she's eager to help her.
Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for banned substance weekend of fight with Devin Haney
West Virginia GOP County Commissioners removed from office after arrest for skipping meetings
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
A fiery crash involving tanker carrying gas closes I-95 in Connecticut in both directions
Nick Viall and Natalie Joy Cancel Honeymoon After “Nightmare” Turn of Events
Ryan Garcia fails drug test. His opponent, Devin Haney, is connected to Victor Conte.