Current:Home > StocksSouth Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked -Blueprint Money Mastery
South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 00:31:48
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s defense minister on Friday vowed massive retaliatory missile strikes on “the heart and head” of North Korea in the event of provocation, as the rivals escalate their rhetoric over their respective spy satellite launches in recent days.
The South Korean warning — unusually fiery rhetoric by Seoul directed at Pyongyang — came as the top security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan gathered in Seoul for talks to discuss North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats and other issues.
During a visit to the army’s missile strategic command, South Korean Defense Minister Shin Wonsik ordered command officers to maintain a readiness to fire precision-guided and powerful missiles at any time, according to his ministry.
Shin said the main role of the command is “lethally striking the heart and head of the enemy, though the types of its provocations can vary,” a ministry statement said.
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space on Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans. South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, according to Seoul officials. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
Last week, when South Korea also launched its first military spy satellite from California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base, North Korea slammed the U.S. for alleged double standards and warned of a possible grave danger to global peace.
In a statement Friday, Jo Chol Su, a senior North Korean Foreign Ministry official, said the North would make all available efforts to protect its national interests in the face of threats by hostile forces.
The national security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan are to hold their first trilateral meeting in six months in Seoul on Saturday.
Ahead of the three-way meeting, South Korean national security adviser Cho Tae-yong and his Japanese counterpart, Takeo Akiba, met bilaterally on Friday and reaffirmed a need to strengthen their cooperation with the U.S. to cope with with provocations by North Korea. Cho and U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan also met and affirmed that Seoul and Washington remain open to diplomacy with North Korea, according to South Korea’s presidential office.
Earlier Friday, South Korea’s Unification Ministry accused North Korea of property rights infringements by unilaterally using South Korean-owned equipment at a now-shuttered joint factory park in the North. The ministry also accused North Korea of dismantling the remains of a South Korean-built liaison office at the park that the North blew up during a previous period of tensions in 2020.
veryGood! (97147)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Travis Kelce Reacts to Jason Kelce’s ESPN Debut Exactly as a Brother Would
- Fine Particulate Matter Air Pollutants, Known as PM2.5, Have Led to Disproportionately High Deaths Among Black Americans
- Harvey Weinstein rushed from Rikers Island to hospital for emergency heart surgery
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- These Designer Michael Kors Handbags Are on Sale & Too Good To Be True—Score an Extra 20% off Fall Styles
- Are you working yourself to death? Your job won't prioritize your well-being. You can.
- Texas school districts say upgrades to the state’s student data reporting system could hurt funding
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- McDonald's Crocs Happy Meals with mini keychains coming to US
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- North Carolina House Rep. Jeffrey Elmore resigning before term ends
- Arizona’s ban on transgender girls playing girls’ school team sports remains blocked, court says
- Don Lemon, with a new book on faith, examines religion in politics: 'It's disturbing'
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Books like ACOTAR: Spicy fantasy books to read after ‘A Court of Thorns and Roses’
- Delaware primary to decide governor’s contest and could pave the path for US House history
- The 49ers spoil Aaron Rodgers’ return with a 32-19 win over the Jets
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Feds say white supremacist leaders of 'Terrorgram' group plotted assassinations, attacks
Field of (wildest) dreams: Ohio corn maze reveals Taylor Swift design
Highlights as Bill Belichick makes 'Manningcast' debut during Jets vs. 49ers MNF game
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
State veterans affairs commissioner to resign at the end of the year
Colorado man dies on Colorado River trip; 7th fatality at Grand Canyon National Park since July 31
Congress honors 13 troops killed during Kabul withdrawal as politics swirl around who is to blame