Current:Home > ScamsNew Mexico governor amends controversial temporary gun ban, now targets parks, playgrounds -Blueprint Money Mastery
New Mexico governor amends controversial temporary gun ban, now targets parks, playgrounds
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 17:17:06
Facing litigation, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham amended her targeted and temporary gun ban this Friday, this time limiting it to just public parks and playgrounds in areas of high violent crime.
Lujan Grisham, a Democrat, issued the order on Sept. 8, temporarily suspending the right to carry firearms in some public areas for at least 30 days. Now, she has amended the order to just include public parks and playgrounds.
U.S. District Judge David Urias delivered a setback to the order on Wednesday. But that's just one of about a half-dozen legal challenges Grisham is facing over the order, according to U.S. District Court of New Mexico records.
Her public health order targets cities and counties averaging 1,000 or more violent crimes per 100,000 residents a year since 2021, according to the FBI's crime data. The municipality must also experience more than 90 firearm-related emergency department visits per 100,000 residents from July 2022 to June 2023.
So far, Bernalillo County and Albuquerque are affected.
Suspension draws quick reaction:New Mexico governor's temporary gun ban sparks court battle, law enforcement outcry
What is in the new order?
The temporary order “is amended to be focused now (on) no open or concealed carry in public parks or playgrounds, where we know we’ve got high risk of kids and families,” Grisham said Friday.
Parks overseen by the State Land Office and the state parks division of the Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department are not affected by the order, the governor's office said. The agencies oversee dozens of recreation areas.
Penalties for the original order vary. Grisham previously said at a news conference that her office was working with New Mexico's Department of Public Safety on enforcement.
State Attorney General Raúl Torrez said he could not defend the 30-day prohibition against carrying firearms in and around Albuquerque.
Contributing: Associated Press.
veryGood! (63)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Peso Pluma cancels Tijuana show following threats from Mexican cartel, cites security concerns
- Russia calls temporary halt to gasoline, diesel fuel exports
- Angus Cloud died from accidental overdose, coroner's office says
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Selling safety in the fight against wildfires
- Can you take too many vitamins? Here's what the experts want you to know.
- Meet the Incredibly Star-Studded Cast of The Traitors Season 2
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- A potential tropical system is headed toward North Carolina; Hurricane Nigel remains at sea
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- College football picks for Week 4: Predictions for Top 25 schedule filled with big games
- Ray Epps, man at center of right-wing Jan. 6 conspiracy, pleads guilty
- Joe Jonas Breaks Silence on Sophie Turner's Misleading Lawsuit Over Their 2 Kids
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 2 Black TikTok workers claim discrimination: Both were fired after complaining to HR
- Which 2-0 NFL teams are for real? Ranking all nine by Super Bowl contender legitimacy
- Oklahoma executes Anthony Sanchez for killing of college dance student Juli Busken in 1996
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Olympic bobsled medalist Aja Evans files lawsuit alleging sexual abuse
A British ex-soldier pleads not guilty to escaping from a London prison
Greek civil servants have stopped work in a 24-hour strike that is disrupting public transport
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
How your college major can influence pay. Here are the top- and bottom-paying fields.
Free covid tests by mail are back, starting Monday
Police suggested charging a child for her explicit photos. Experts say the practice is common