Current:Home > NewsGM’s Cruise robotaxi service faces potential fine in alleged cover-up of San Francisco accident -Blueprint Money Mastery
GM’s Cruise robotaxi service faces potential fine in alleged cover-up of San Francisco accident
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 13:28:27
California regulators are alleging a San Francisco robotaxi service owned by General Motors covered up an accident involving one of its driverless cars, raising the specter they may add a fine to the recent suspension of its California license.
The potential penalty facing GM’s Cruise service could be around $1.5 million, based on documents filed late last week by the California Public Utilities Commission.
The notice orders Cruise to appear at a Feb. 6 evidentiary hearing to determine whether the robotaxi service misled regulators about what happened after one of its driverless cars ran into a pedestrian who had already been struck by another vehicle driven by a human on the evening of Oct. 2 in San Francisco.
The February hearing comes just six months after the commission authorized Cruise’s robotaxi service to begin charging passengers for around-the-clock rides throughout San Francisco despite strident objections from city officials who warned the driverless cars malfunctioned.
Three weeks after Cruise’s Oct. 2 accident, the California Department of Motor Vehicles effectively shut down the robotaxi service by suspending its license to operate in the state.
The suspension was a major blow for Cruise and its corporate parent GM, which absorbed huge losses during the development of the driverless service that was supposed to generate $1 billion in revenue by 2025 as it expanded beyond San Francisco.
After losing nearly $6 billion since the end of 2019, Cruise has shifted into reverse as it scrambles to control the fallout from the Oct. 2 accident that critically injured the run-over pedestrian and led to the recent resignation of CEO and co-founder Kyle Vogt.
Without directly addressing the potential fine, GM CEO Mary Barra said Monday that the October crash has helped the automaker learn more about the need for transparency and a better relationship with regulators.
“We’re very focused on righting the ship here because this is technology that can make the way we move from point A to point B safer,” Barra told a gathering of automotive media.
Barra also pointed to the overhaul of Cruise’s management that included a reorganization of its government-relations and legal teams as signs of progress. “We think we can do things more effectively,” she said.
Cruise issued its own statement pledging to respond “in a timely manner” to the Public Utilities Commission’s concerns. The company has already hired an outside law firm to scrutinize its response to the Oct. 2 accident.
The most serious questions about the incident concern Cruise’s handling of a video showing a robotaxi named “Panini” dragging the pedestrian 20 feet (6 meters) before coming to the stop.
In a Dec. 1 filing recounting how Cruise handled disclosures about the accident, the Public Utilities Commission asserted the company tried to conceal how its robotaxi reacted to the accident for more than two weeks.
Cruise didn’t provide the video footage until Oct. 19, according to the regulatory filing. The cover-up spanned 15 days, according to the PUC, exposing Cruise and GM to potential fines of $100,000 per day, or $1.5 million.
___
AP Auto Writer Tom Krisher in Detroit contributed to this story.
veryGood! (9689)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Polar Ice Is Disappearing, Setting Off Climate Alarms
- New York state trooper charged in deadly shooting captured on bodycam video after high-speed chase
- Missouri man Michael Tisius executed despite appeals from former jurors
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Busting 5 common myths about water and hydration
- Why your bad boss will probably lose the remote-work wars
- Microsoft to pay $20 million over FTC charges surrounding kids' data collection
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Prince Harry Absent From Royal Family Balcony Moment at King Charles III’s Coronation
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Joran van der Sloot, prime suspect in Natalee Holloway case, to be transferred to U.S. custody from Peru this week
- Unique Hazards of Tar Sands Oil Spills Confirmed by National Academies of Sciences
- Breaking Down Prince William and Kate Middleton's Updated Roles Amid King Charles III's Reign
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Cuba Gooding Jr. settles lawsuit over New York City rape accusation before trial, court records say
- Portland police deny online rumors linking six deaths to serial killer
- Second plane carrying migrants lands in Sacramento; officials say Florida was involved
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Actors guild authorizes strike with contract set to expire at end of month
Wildfires to Hurricanes, 2017’s Year of Disasters Carried Climate Warnings
Do Hundreds of Other Gas Storage Sites Risk a Methane Leak Like California’s?
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
What happened on D-Day? A timeline of June 6, 1944
The economics behind 'quiet quitting' — and what we should call it instead
Today’s Climate: June 4, 2010