Current:Home > ContactCarnival ruled negligent over cruise where 662 passengers got COVID-19 early in pandemic -Blueprint Money Mastery
Carnival ruled negligent over cruise where 662 passengers got COVID-19 early in pandemic
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:31:37
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A cruise operator that failed to cancel a voyage from Sydney that led to a major COVID-19 outbreak was ruled negligent in its duty of care to passengers in an Australian class-action case Wednesday.
The Ruby Princess ocean liner left Sydney on March 8, 2020, with 2,671 passengers aboard for a 13-day cruise to New Zealand but returned in 11 days as Australia’s borders were closing. COVID-19 spread to 663 passengers and claimed 28 lives.
Passenger Susan Karpik was the lead plaintiff in the case against British-American cruise operator Carnival and its subsidiary Princess Cruises, the ship’s owner.
Federal Court Justice Angus Stewart ruled that Carnival had been negligent as defined by Australian consumer law by allowing the cruise to depart in the early months of the pandemic. He said Carnival had a duty to take reasonable care of her health and safety in regard to COVID-19.
“I have found that before the embarkation of passengers on the Ruby Princess for the cruise in question, the respondents knew or ought to have known about the heightened risk of coronavirus infection on the vessel and its potentially lethal consequences and that their procedures for screening passengers and crew members for the virus were unlikely to screen out all infectious individuals,” Stewart said.
Carnival had already experienced outbreaks on its cruises in the previous month aboard the Grand Princess off California and the Diamond Princess off Japan, the judge said.
Carnival had failed to explain why it offered free cancellation for all cruises worldwide leaving from March 9 — the day after the Ruby Princess departed — and suspended all cruises on March 13, he said.
“To the respondents’ knowledge, to proceed with the cruise carried significant risk of a coronavirus outbreak with possible disastrous consequences, yet they proceeded regardless,” Stewart said.
Susan Karpik had sued Carnival for more than 360,000 Australian dollars ($230,000).
However, she was only awarded her out-of-pocket medical expenses of AU$4,423.48 ($2,823.28) for reasons including that the judge did not accept she suffered from long COVID and that Carnival had refunded all the passengers’ fares.
But she said she was happy with the outcome.
“I was very pleased with that finding. And I hope the other passengers are pleased with that finding too,” she told reporters outside court.
“I hope the finding brings some comfort to them because they’ve all been through the mill and back,” she added.
Her lawyer Vicky Antzoulatos said other passengers who suffered worse consequences from their sickness could expect larger payouts.
While Susan Karpik’s symptoms were relatively mild, her husband Henry Karpik spent two months in hospital and almost died from his infection.
“Susan’s husband was very catastrophically injured, so we expect that he will have a substantial claim, and that will be the same for a number of the passengers on the ship,” Antzoulatos said.
Each passenger will have to prove their claims unless Carnival agrees to settle, she said.
“It’s been a long time coming and a very comprehensive victory for the passengers on the Ruby Princess,” Antzoulatos said.
Carnival Australia said in a statement it was considering the judgment in detail.
“The pandemic was a difficult time in Australia’s history, and we understand how heartbreaking it was for those affected,” Carnival said.
veryGood! (576)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Comedian Neel Nanda Dead at 32: Matt Rife and More Pay Tribute
- Blackhawks' Connor Bedard scores lacrosse-style Michigan goal; Ducks' Trevor Zegras matches it
- FDA warns about Ozempic counterfeits, seizes thousands of fake drugs
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Peso Pluma bests Taylor Swift, Bad Bunny for most streamed YouTube artist of 2023
- Michigan State freshman point guard shot in leg while on holiday break in Illinois
- San Francisco jury finds homeless man not guilty in beating of businessman left with brain injury
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- How to refresh your online dating profile for 2024, according to a professional matchmaker
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Prosecutors in Idaho request summer trial dates for man accused of killing 4 university students
- Toyota recalls 2023: Check the full list of models recalled this year
- Police in Serbia fire tear gas at election protesters threatening to storm capital’s city hall
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Mall shooting in Ocala, Florida: 1 dead, 1 injured at Paddock Mall: Authorities
- Seattle hospital sues Texas AG for demanding children's gender-affirming care records
- Love Story Actor Ryan O'Neal's Cause of Death Revealed
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
At a church rectory in Boston, Haitian migrants place their hopes on hard work and helping hands
Where to watch 'Die Hard' this Christmas: Cast, streaming info, TV airtimes
FDA says watch out for fake Ozempic, a diabetes drug used by many for weight loss
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Judges to decide if 300 possible victims of trafficking from India should remain grounded in France
If the weather outside is frightful, here's what to watch to warm yourself up
How Tori Spelling Is Crushing Her Single Mom Christmas