Current:Home > InvestBiden border action prompts concern among migrant advocates: "People are going to have fewer options to access protection" -Blueprint Money Mastery
Biden border action prompts concern among migrant advocates: "People are going to have fewer options to access protection"
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 20:42:36
Nogales, Arizona —A new executive action unveiled by President Biden this week that authorizes U.S. immigration officials to deport large numbers of migrants without processing their asylum claims has prompted concern among advocates, as migrants now face "fewer options to access protection."
Joanna Williams runs a shelter serving migrants in Nogales, Mexico, where migrants often wait to claim asylum in the U.S. In an interview with CBS News' Lilia Luciano, Williams said that what the new rule means for asylum seekers — who are often fleeing violence and seeking safety in the U.S. but are unable to get an appointment through a government app — is that "their other option is to try to go out into the desert and avoid finding border patrol."
"There was no part of this order today that extended any legal channels, that expanded options," Williams said of the president's action on Tuesday.
Mr. Biden has faced pressure for months to take action at the southern border, as immigration has become a key issue — especially among Republicans — heading into November's election.
The move, which has drawn stark pushback from the left, allows authorities to more quickly reject and deport migrants who enter the country unlawfully by suspending the processing of asylum claims between official entry points along the southern border. Migrant advocates view the move as an about face on U.S. asylum law, which allows migrants on American soil to request humanitarian protection.
The president defended the action, saying illegal border crossings remained historically high, while pointing to congressional Republicans' rejection of border security legislation negotiated on a bipartisan basis earlier this year that this executive action mirrors in part.
Still, Williams explained that deterrence policies have been in effect for over two decades at the southern border, saying "what they lead to is an increase in deaths."
The partial ban on asylum will not apply to unaccompanied children, individuals with acute medical conditions or who are fleeing imminent harm or who are using legal pathways to enter the U.S., and it would be rolled back after 14 days if the weekly average of daily illegal border crossings falls below 1,500. The American Civil Liberties Union said it will challenge the executive action in court.
Lilia LucianoLilia Luciano is an award-winning journalist and CBS News 24/7 anchor and correspondent based in New York City. Luciano is the recipient of multiple journalism awards, including a Walter Cronkite Award, a regional Edward R. Murrow Award and five regional Emmys.
TwitterveryGood! (615)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Texas man set to be first in US executed over shaken baby syndrome makes last appeals
- Canceling your subscription is about to get a lot easier thanks to this new rule
- What to know about red tide after Florida’s back-to-back hurricanes
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Canceling your subscription is about to get a lot easier thanks to this new rule
- Zayn Malik Shares What He Regrets Not Telling Liam Payne Before Death
- Harris will campaign with the Obamas later this month in Georgia and Michigan
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage in the US rises to the highest level in 8 weeks
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- White powdery substance found outside Colorado family's home 'exploded'; FBI responds
- Prosecutors say father of Georgia shooting suspect knew son was obsessed with school shooters
- Niall Horan's Brother Greg Says He's Heartbroken Over Liam Payne's Death
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Trump is consistently inconsistent on abortion and reproductive rights
- Florida digs out of mountains of sand swept in by back-to-back hurricanes
- Woman dies 2 days after co-worker shot her at Santa Monica College, police say
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Midwest chicken farmers struggle to feed flocks after sudden closure of processor
Megan Marshack, aide to Nelson Rockefeller who was with him at his death in 1979, dies at 70
Wealthier Americans are driving retail spending and powering US economy
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Dennis Eckersley’s daughter gets suspended sentence in baby abandonment case
Powerball winning numbers for October 16 drawing: Did anyone win $408 million jackpot?
One Direction members share joint statement on Liam Payne death: 'Completely devastated'