Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-After key Baptist leader applauds Biden’s withdrawal, agency retracts announcement of his firing -Blueprint Money Mastery
Oliver James Montgomery-After key Baptist leader applauds Biden’s withdrawal, agency retracts announcement of his firing
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 00:21:33
In under 48 hours,Oliver James Montgomery the head of the staunchly conservative public-policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention rankled fellow Baptists by applauding President Joe Biden’s “selfless act” of withdrawing his candidacy for re-election. Then, his agency reported he was fired — and now they have reaffirmed his leadership.
The head-spinning series of events started Sunday, but by Tuesday morning, the SBC’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission announced that no, leader Brent Leatherwood wasn’t fired. Rather, he has the full support of his top board members — though its chairman resigned amid the agency’s retraction.
On Monday, the commission issued a statement that the ERLC’s executive committee had removed Leatherwood in accordance with its bylaws.
But on Tuesday, it said, “There was not an authorized meeting, vote, or action taken by the Executive Committee. Kevin Smith has resigned as Chair of the Executive Committee.”
Leatherwood “has our support moving forward,” the executive committee statement said.
Leatherwood had led the embattled agency through three years as the policy spokesman for the nation’s largest Protestant denomination, but he had not joined in the increasingly public support among many Southern Baptists for former President Donald Trump.
After Biden’s announcement Sunday that he would not seek re-election, Leatherwood called it a “selfless act.”
“We should all express our appreciation that President Biden has put the needs of the nation above his personal ambition,” Leatherwood said.
Leatherwood’s statement prompted fierce blowback on social media from some within the denomination who had already targeted his agency for criticism amid a larger battle to pull the already-conservative denomination even further to the right.
Clint Pressley, the newly elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention, joined in the criticism.
“Sounds right,” Pressley posted on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, in response to a criticism of Leatherwood by a Southern Baptist professor. That professor, Andrew Walker, said Biden’s withdrawal was not an “act of valor” but rather a case of “ultra-powerful” Democrats forcing him out.
Leatherwood and his agency had advocated staunchly conservative stances in areas such as opposing abortion, in keeping with official Southern Baptist stances, though he resisted calls by some to advocate legal penalties for women who seek abortions.
At this year’s annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention, hundreds attended an unofficial event featuring a video-recorded address by Trump.
But Leatherwood hosted a separate event, also attended by hundreds, in which he interviewed former Vice President Mike Pence, another staunch conservative who received the wrath of Trump and many of the former president’s followers after he refused to use his role to block certification of Biden’s 2020 election victory.
___
Associated Press religion coverage receives support through the AP’s collaboration with The Conversation US, with funding from Lilly Endowment Inc. The AP is solely responsible for this content.
veryGood! (18)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Pete Rose, MLB's all-time hits leader who earned lifetime ban, dead at 83
- Pennsylvania county manager sued over plans to end use of drop boxes for mail-in ballots
- Lana Del Rey’s Wedding Dress Designer Details Gown She Wore for Ceremony
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Are oats healthy? Here's how to make them an even better breakfast.
- The grace period for student loan payments is over. Here’s what you need to know
- Days after Hurricane Helene, a powerless mess remains in the Southeast
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Kristin Cavallari Shares Glimpse Inside New Home After Mark Estes Breakup
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Marketing plans are key for small businesses ahead of a tough holiday shopping season
- Frank Fritz, the 'bearded charmer' of 'American Pickers,' dies 2 years after stroke
- Chinese and Russian coast guard ships sail through the Bering Sea together, US says
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- LeBron, Bronny share the floor at Lakers media day, move closer to sharing court in NBA
- Dartmouth College naming center in memory of football coach Teevens
- Want to help those affected by Hurricane Helene? You can donate to these groups
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Helene's flooding flattens Chimney Rock, NC: 'Everything along the river is gone'
LeBron James Reacts to Making Debut With Son Bronny James as Lakers Teammates
NFL Week 4 overreactions: Rashee Rice injury ends Chiefs’ three-peat hopes?
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
California sues Catholic hospital for denying emergency abortion
US sanctions extremist West Bank settler group for violence against Palestinians
Parents sue school district following wristband protest against transgender girl at soccer game