Current:Home > NewsJudge approves settlement barring U.S. border officials from reviving family separation policy for 8 years -Blueprint Money Mastery
Judge approves settlement barring U.S. border officials from reviving family separation policy for 8 years
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:38:18
A federal judge in California on Friday approved a court settlement that will prohibit federal U.S. border officials from reviving the Trump-era "zero tolerance" family separation policy for the next eight years.
Under the settlement between the American Civil Liberties Union and the Biden administration, the federal government will be barred from separating migrant families solely for the purposes of prosecuting the parents for entering the U.S. illegally. There are limited exceptions to the eight-year ban, such as when a parent poses a risk to their children.
The settlement also provides social and legal benefits to migrant families affected by the Trump-era practice, which led to the separation of roughly 5,000 children from their parents. The agreement does not include monetary compensation, which was considered by the Biden administration until an outcry by Republican lawmakers in Congress.
U.S. District Court Judge Dana Sabraw approved the settlement during a hearing Friday in San Diego, Lee Gelernt, the lead ACLU attorney in the case, told CBS News. A formal order codifying the agreement is expected to be issued Monday, Gelernt added.
"This settlement is a critical step toward closing one of the darkest chapters of the Trump administration," Gelernt said. "Babies and toddlers were literally ripped from their parents' arms under this horrific practice."
In 2018, Sabraw barred the Trump administration from separating migrant children from their parents and ordered officials to reunite separated families.
On Friday, Sabraw, an appointee of former President George W. Bush, called the family separation practice "one of the most shameful chapters in the history of our country," referring to the ACLU's lawsuit against the policy as "righteous litigation," according to a transcript of the hearing. The deportation of parents without their children, he added, was "simply cruel."
While on the 2024 campaign trail, former President Donald Trump has repeatedly refused to rule out reinstating his infamous border separation policy.
Soon after taking office, President Biden created a task force that has reunited hundreds of migrant families, allowing parents who had been deported from the U.S. without their children to return to the country. It has also provided the families temporary legal status and work permits.
The ACLU estimates that between 500 and 1,000 children split up from their parents as a result of the Trump-era policy remain separated from their families.
- In:
- Biden Administration
- Donald Trump
- Migrants
Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the immigration reporter at CBS News. Based in Washington, he covers immigration policy and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (9531)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Don’t Miss This Chance To Get 3 It Cosmetics Mascaras for the Price of 1
- 2 more Connecticut officers fired after man became paralyzed in police van
- Jonah Hill Welcomes First Baby With Olivia Millar
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- More States Crack Down on Pipeline Protesters, Including Supporters Who Aren’t Even on the Scene
- American Climate Video: He Lost Almost Everything in the Camp Fire, Except a Chance Start Over.
- Solar Energy Boom Sets New Records, Shattering Expectations
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Return to Small Farms Could Help Alleviate Social and Environmental Crises
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Don’t Miss This Chance To Get 3 It Cosmetics Mascaras for the Price of 1
- Trump’s Fighting to Keep a Costly, Unreliable Coal Plant Running. TVA Wants to Shut It Down.
- Ulta 24-Hour Flash Deal: Dry and Style Your Hair at the Same Time and Save 50% On a Revlon Heated Brush
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Study: Minority Communities Suffer Most If California Suspends AB 32
- Most pickup trucks have unsafe rear seats, new study finds
- Earn less than $100,000 in San Francisco? Then you are considered low income.
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Extreme Heat, a Public Health Emergency, Will Be More Frequent and Severe
Ulta 24-Hour Flash Deal: Dry and Style Your Hair at the Same Time and Save 50% On a Revlon Heated Brush
Produce to the People
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Most pickup trucks have unsafe rear seats, new study finds
To Close Climate Goals Gap: Drop Coal, Ramp Up Renewables — Fast, UN Says
Pregnant Naomi Osaka Reveals the Sex of Her First Baby