Current:Home > NewsParole denied for Indigenous activist Leonard Peltier, who has spent most of his life in prison -Blueprint Money Mastery
Parole denied for Indigenous activist Leonard Peltier, who has spent most of his life in prison
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 17:41:08
Indigenous activist Leonard Peltier, who has spent most of his life in prison since his conviction in the 1975 killings of two FBI agents in South Dakota, has been denied parole.
The U.S. Parole Commission said in a statement Tuesday announcing the decision that he won’t be eligible for another parole hearing until June 2026.
His attorney, Kevin Sharp, a former federal judge, argued that Peltier was wrongly convicted and said that the health of the 79-year-old was failing. Peltier’s attorney didn’t immediately return a phone message from The Associated Press seeking comment, but after his client was last denied parole, in June, Sharp, said that he argued that the commission was obligated legally to “look forward,” focusing on issues such as whether he is likely to commit another crime if he is release.
The FBI and its current and former agents dispute the claims of innocence. The agency did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment about the decision.
Mike Clark, president of the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI, which wrote a letter arguing that Peltier should remain incarcerated, described the decision as “great news.”
“That could have been any person that I’ve worked with for 23 years. That could be them out in that field,” Clark said. “They were down, they were wounded, they were helpless and he shot them point blank. It is a heinous crime.”
An enrolled member of the Turtle Mountain Chippewa tribe, Peltier was active in the American Indian Movement, which began in the 1960s as a local organization in Minneapolis that grappled with issues of police brutality and discrimination against Native Americans. It quickly became a national force.
AIM grabbed headlines in 1973 when it took over the village of Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge reservation, leading to a 71-day standoff with federal agents. Tensions between AIM and the government remained high for years.
On June 26, 1975, agents came to Pine Ridge to serve arrest warrants amid battles over Native treaty rights and self-determination.
After being injured in a shootout, agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams were shot in the head at close range, according to a letter from FBI Director Christopher Wray. Also killed in the shootout was AIM member Joseph Stuntz. The Justice Department concluded that a law enforcement sniper killed Stuntz.
Two other AIM members, Robert Robideau and Dino Butler, were acquitted of killing Coler and Williams.
After fleeing to Canada and being extradited to the United States, Peltier was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder and sentenced in 1977 to life in prison, despite defense claims that evidence against him had been falsified.
veryGood! (221)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Sofía Vergara Shares Glimpse Inside Italian Vacation Amid Joe Manganiello Breakup
- Paris Hilton Celebrates 6 Months With Angel Baby Phoenix in Sweet Message
- The UN Wants the World Court to Address Nations’ Climate Obligations. Here’s What Could Happen Next
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Below Deck Sailing Yacht's Mads Slams Gary Following Their Casual Boatmance
- As the Harms of Hydropower Dams Become Clearer, Some Activists Ask, ‘Is It Time to Remove Them?’
- Throw the Best Pool Party of the Summer with These Essentials: Floats, Games, Music, & More
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- More Than a Decade of Megadrought Brought a Summer of Megafires to Chile
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Anthropologie’s Extra 40% Off Sale: Score Deals on Summer Dresses, Skirts, Tops, Home Decor & More
- Chicago’s Little Village Residents Fight for Better City Oversight of Industrial Corridors
- Ricky Martin’s 14-Year-Old Twins Surprise Him on Stage in Rare Appearance
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Miranda Lambert Stops Las Vegas Concert to Call Out Fans for Taking Selfies
- Shell Refinery Unit Had History of Malfunctions Before Fire
- Miranda Lambert Stops Las Vegas Concert to Call Out Fans for Taking Selfies
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
North Texas Suburb Approves New Fracking Zone Near Homes and Schools
Anthropologie’s Extra 40% Off Sale: Score Deals on Summer Dresses, Skirts, Tops, Home Decor & More
Restoring Seabird Populations Can Help Repair the Climate
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Revisit Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez's Love Story After Their Break Up
Environmental Justice Advocates Urge California to Stop Issuing New Drilling Permits in Neighborhoods
Bumble and Bumble 2 for the Price of 1 Deal: Get Frizz-Free, Soft, Vibrant Hair for Just $31