Current:Home > ContactEthermac Exchange-Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting -Blueprint Money Mastery
Ethermac Exchange-Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 13:38:36
GALVESTON,Ethermac Exchange Texas (AP) — A lawsuit accusing the parents of a former Texas high school student of negligence for not securing weapons he allegedly used in a 2018 shooting at his campus that killed 10 people was set to go before a jury on Wednesday.
Opening statements were expected in Galveston, Texas, in the civil trial over the lawsuit filed by family members of seven of those killed and four of the 13 people wounded in the attack at Santa Fe High School in May 2018.
Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged with capital murder for the shooting. Pagourtzis was a 17-year-old student when authorities said he killed eight students and two teachers at the school, located about 35 miles (55 kilometers) southeast of Houston.
The now 23-year-old’s criminal trial has been on hold as he’s been declared incompetent to stand trial and has remained at the North Texas State Hospital in Vernon since December 2019.
The lawsuit is seeking to hold Pagourtzis and his parents, Antonios Pagourtzis and Rose Marie Kosmetatos, financially liable for the shooting. The families are pursuing at least $1 million in damages.
The lawsuit accuses Pagourtzis’ parents of knowing their son was at risk of harming himself or others. It alleges Pagourtzis had been exhibiting signs of emotional distress and violent fantasies but his parents did nothing to get him help or secure a handgun and shotgun kept at their home that he allegedly ended up using during the shooting.
“We look forward to obtaining justice for the victims of the senseless tragedy,” said Clint McGuire, an attorney representing the families of five students who were killed and two others who were injured.
Lori Laird, an attorney for Pagourtzis’ parents, did not immediately reply to an email seeking comment.
In a court filing, Roberto Torres, who is representing Pagourtzis in the lawsuit, denied the allegations against his client, saying that “due to mental impairment or illness, (Pagourtzis) did not have sufficient capacity to have a reasonable degree of rational understanding of or control over his actions.”
The trial could last up to three weeks.
Family members of those killed or wounded have welcomed the start of the civil trial as they have expressed frustration that Pagourtzis’ criminal trial has been on hold for years, preventing them from having a sense of closure.
Lucky Gunner, a Tennessee-based online retailer accused of illegally selling ammunition to Pagourtzis, had also been one of the defendants in the lawsuit. But in 2023, the families settled their case against the retailer, who had been accused of failing to verify Pagourtzis’ age when he bought more than 100 rounds of ammunition on two occasions before the shooting.
Other similar lawsuits have been filed following a mass shooting.
In 2022, a jury awarded over $200 million to the mother of one of four people killed in a shooting at a Waffle House in Nashville, Tennessee. The lawsuit had been filed against the shooter and his father, who was accused of giving back a rifle to his son before the shooting despite his son’s mental health issues.
In April, Jennifer and James Crumbley were sentenced to at least 10 years in prison by a Michigan judge after becoming the first parents convicted in a U.S. mass school shooting.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano on X: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (628)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- NFL demands Houston Cougars stop wearing Oilers inspired uniforms, per report
- Judge dismisses Brett Favre defamation suit, saying Shannon Sharpe used hyperbole over welfare money
- UN experts call on the Taliban to free 2 women rights defenders from custody in Afghanistan
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Pope says it's urgent to guarantee governance roles for women during meeting on church future
- Halloween candy can give you a 'sugar hangover.' Experts weigh in on how much is too much.
- 'I am Kenough': Barbie unveils new doll inspired by Ryan Gosling's character
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Ex-Louisville detective Brett Hankison's trial begins in Breonna Taylor case
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Visitors will be allowed in Florence chapel’s secret room to ponder if drawings are Michelangelo’s
- Tarantula crossing the road blamed for crash that sent a Canadian motorcyclist to the hospital
- Biden’s Cabinet secretaries will push a divided Congress to send aid to Israel and Ukraine
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- For parents who’ve been through shootings, raising kids requires grappling with fears
- As Israel ramps up its ground war, Hamas says death toll in Gaza Strip has soared over 8,000
- Drivers in Argentina wait in long lines to fill up the tanks as presidential election looms
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
5 Things podcast: Israel expands its Gaza incursion, Maine shooting suspect found dead
Judge orders federal agents to stop cutting Texas razor wire for now at busy Mexico border crossing
The new list of best-selling 'Shark Tank' products of all time
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Venezuela’s high court has suspended the opposition’s primary election process, including its result
Haiti bans charter flights to Nicaragua in blow to migrants fleeing poverty and violence
A massive comet some say looks like the Millennium Falcon may be visible from Earth next year