Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-U.S. Starts Process to Open Arctic to Offshore Drilling, Despite Federal Lawsuit -Blueprint Money Mastery
Rekubit-U.S. Starts Process to Open Arctic to Offshore Drilling, Despite Federal Lawsuit
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:30:31
The RekubitTrump administration has begun the process to open a large area of federal waters off Alaska to oil and gas drilling, taking comments on a plan for drilling that is already being challenged in court.
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management announced on Thursday that it is going to start accepting comments from the public about bringing oil drilling to roughly 65 million acres of offshore waters in the Beaufort Sea and plans to hold a lease sale in 2019.
The waters have been in dispute since early in the Trump administration. In one of his final acts as president, Barack Obama had placed them off limits to drilling. And in one of his early acts as president, Donald Trump moved to overturn that with an executive order of his own.
In response, Earthjustice and the Natural Resources Defense Council sued in a federal court in Alaska on behalf of about a dozen environmental organizations. The case is far from over. Last week, a federal judge in Alaska heard oral arguments in the case. She is expected to rule in the next three to five months.
“The proposed lease sale overlaps with the area President Obama withdrew, and can only proceed if President Trump’s order attempting to revoke the Obama protection is lawful,” said Eric Jorgensen, managing attorney for Earthjustice’s Alaska regional office.
BOEM: Court Case Doesn’t Block Planning
Obama’s drilling ban relied on his powers under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act of 1953 (OCSLA), which allows a president to withdraw certain areas from production. The environmental groups have argued that OCSLA clearly gives presidents the right to permanently withdraw areas from drilling, and that only Congress can add those lands back in.
“It’s our contention that President Trump doesn’t have the authority to revoke President Obama’s protections,” said Kristen Monsell, a senior attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity, which is part of the lawsuit. “They were permanent and were put in place for very, very good reasons.”
In its announcement Thursday, BOEM said it intends to prepare an environmental impact statement for a 2019 lease sale in the Beaufort Sea, and it published dates for a series of public meetings to be held in Anchorage and across Alaska’s North Slope in December. The comment period will be open for 30 days from the announcement’s publication in the Federal Register, expected Friday.
BOEM spokesman John Callahan said the litigation won’t affect the timing of the proposed lease program and doesn’t have to be resolved before the government starts planning. He said the agency expects to publish drafts of both a lease plan and an environmental impact statement by the end of this year.
Oil Spill Concerns Led to Obama’s Decision
Obama’s decision to withdraw the Arctic waters from drilling were made in part out of concern for what would happen should an oil spill occur there. The move “reflect[s] the scientific assessment that, even with the high safety standards that both our countries have put in place, the risks of an oil spill in this region are significant and our ability to clean up from a spill in the region’s harsh conditions is limited,” a White House release said at the time.
“The Arctic is incredibly fragile, and we shouldn’t be drilling there,” said Monsell. “It’s incredibly dangerous, and science tells us that all known resources there must stay in the ground if we‘re going to avert the most catastrophic impacts of climate change. This announcement does just the opposite.”
Last month, the Trump administration gave final approval to Hilcorp to drill for oil from an artificial island it would build in the federal waters along Alaska’s North Slope, a project that was leased before the moratorium. That project has already run into trouble amid rising global temperatures, though, because the island’s construction requires a large amount of shore-fast sea ice to carry equipment and gravel to the site, and that ice has failed to form this year as expected.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- For Orioles, trade deadline, Jackson Holliday's return reflect reality: 'We want to go all the way'
- 2024 Olympics: Brazilian Swimmer Ana Carolina Vieira Dismissed After Leaving Olympic Village
- Squid Game Season 2 First Look and Premiere Date Revealed—and Simon Says You're Not Ready
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Lawmaker posts rare win for injured workers — and pushes for more
- Houston Police trying to contact victims after 4,017 sexual assault cases were shelved, chief says
- North Carolina’s GOP-controlled House overrides Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s vetoes
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- 1 of last Republican congressmen to vote for Trump impeachment defends his seat in Washington race
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- How do canoe and kayak events work at Paris Olympics? Team USA stars, what else to know
- NYC man accused of damaging license plates on Secret Service vehicles guarding VP’s stepdaughter
- Lawmaker posts rare win for injured workers — and pushes for more
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- IHOP is bringing back its all-you-can-eat pancake deal for a limited time: Here's when
- While Steph Curry looks for his shot, US glides past South Sudan in Olympics
- Argentina star Ángel Di María says family received pig's head, threat to daughter's life
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's Daughter Vivienne Lands New Musical Job
Ransomware attack disables computers at blood center serving 250 hospitals in southeast US
Rob Lowe teases a 'St. Elmo's Fire' sequel: 'We've met with the studio'
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
By the dozen, accusers tell of rampant sexual abuse at Pennsylvania juvenile detention facilities
Park Fire jeopardizing one of California’s most iconic species: ‘This species could blink out’
14 Arrested at Comic-Con for Alleged Sex Trafficking