Current:Home > reviewsTrump campaign bets big on Minnesota, Virginia with new field offices -Blueprint Money Mastery
Trump campaign bets big on Minnesota, Virginia with new field offices
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:57:23
The Trump campaign is expanding its ground game in Minnesota and Virginia as it puts President Biden's campaign on its heels in traditionally Democratic states, according to a new internal campaign memo.
The memo, obtained exclusively by CBS News Friday, details that the campaign is in the process of securing leases for eight "Trump Force 47" offices in Minnesota, and 11 campaign offices in Virginia.
"Trump Force 47" is the nickname for the joint effort between the Trump campaign and Republican National Committee's grassroots volunteer canvassing program.
In addition to the offices, the campaign has hired new staff to manage its ground game in Virginia and Minnesota, and is building out teams.
By putting Minnesota and Virginia on the map, the campaign believes it can add "at least 12 additional pathways to 270," according to the memo, which was written by James Blair, the Trump campaign's political director.
Trump has had his eye on flipping Minnesota and Virginia after several internal campaign polls allegedly showed that Mr. Biden's weakening favorability in those states — coupled with Trump's historic gains with Black and Hispanic voters — could spell an opening for the former president.
However, a Republican has not won Minnesota since Richard Nixon in 1972. Trump came close to turning the state red in 2016, but ultimately lost to Hillary Clinton by less than 2 percentage points.
It has been over two decades since a Republican clinched Virginia in a presidential election. Mr. Biden won the state by double digits in 2020.
Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, a Republican, met with Trump last week at Trump National Golf Club in northern Virginia to discuss the conditions that could help boost his standing in the state. Youngkin also shared polling numbers that allegedly showed Trump is competitive with Mr. Biden in the state.
Regardless of the electoral histories, Trump has been keen on visiting states he hasn't won in the past in an effort to make Mr. Biden's campaign spend resources in what are typically considered safe states for his re-election.
The Democratic National Committee has invested about $500,000 in Minnesota ahead of the election, for staff, technology, outreach efforts, email fundraising, data and operations infrastructure, and party-building initiatives. A DNC spokesperson told CBS News that Trump's campaign strategy in Minnesota has had no impact on its own.
The Biden campaign, meanwhile, has six field offices in Virginia, and has held multiple grassroots events.
"If Trump wants to spend his time and money trying to campaign in blue states, be our guest," Biden campaign spokesperson Caroline Stonecipher told CBS News in a statement Friday evening.
Trump will visit Virginia on June 28, one day after squaring off with Mr. Biden in their first presidential debate. It will be his second visit to the Old Dominion this cycle. The former president made his first visit to Minnesota for a fundraiser in St. Paul in May.
— Scott MacFarlane, Aaron Navarro and Kathryn Watson contributed to this report.
- In:
- Minnesota
- Donald Trump
- 2024 Elections
- Virginia
veryGood! (19317)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- RFK Jr. appeals ruling that knocked him off New York’s presidential election ballot
- Michigan mayor dismissed from lawsuit over city’s handling of lead in water
- Soccer Player Juan Izquierdo Dead at 27 After Collapsing on the Field
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Video shows long-tailed shark struggling to get back into the ocean at NYC beach
- Pink’s Sweet Pep Talk Backstage With Daughter Willow Proves She’s a True Rockstar
- Why ESPN's Adam Schefter Is Fueling Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift Engagement Rumors
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Police in Washington city banned from personalizing equipment in settlement over shooting Black man
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Polaris Dawn mission: What to know about SpaceX launch and its crew
- Following protests, DeSantis says plan to develop state parks is ‘going back to the drawing board’
- Massachusetts strikes down a 67-year-old switchblade ban, cites landmark Supreme Court gun decision
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Fantasy football: Ranking 5 best value plays in 2024 drafts
- 'Yellowstone' First Look Week: Jamie Dutton doubles down on family duplicity (photos)
- Sweaty corn is making it even more humid
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Pink’s Sweet Pep Talk Backstage With Daughter Willow Proves She’s a True Rockstar
Russia bans 92 more Americans from the country, including journalists
Report says instructor thought gun was empty before firing fatal shot at officer during training
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
'Robin Hood in reverse': Former 'Real Housewives' star convicted of embezzling $15 million
Kamala Harris’ election would defy history. Just 1 sitting VP has been elected president since 1836
Questions about the safety of Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ system are growing
Tags
Like
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- In Final Rock Springs Resource Management Plan, BLM Sticks With Conservation Priorities, Renewable Energy Development
- Teen who nearly drowned in Texas lake thanks friend who died trying to rescue her: Report