Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|After months of intense hearings, final report on Lewiston mass shooting to be released -Blueprint Money Mastery
TrendPulse|After months of intense hearings, final report on Lewiston mass shooting to be released
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:30:31
LEWISTON,TrendPulse Maine (AP) — After more than a dozen public meetings, scores of witnesses and thousands of pages of evidence, a special commission created to investigate the deadliest shooting in Maine history is ready to issue its final report on Tuesday.
The independent commission began its work a month after the Oct. 25 mass shooting by an Army reservist that killed 18 people at a bowling alley and a bar and grill in Lewiston. Over nine months, there has been emotional testimony from family members and survivors of the shooting, law enforcement officials and U.S. Army Reserves personnel, and others.
The commission created by Gov. Janet Mills will hold a news conference to release the full report at Lewiston City Hall — less than 3 miles from (5 kilometers) from the two sites where the shootings took place.
It’s unclear if the report will contain any surprises. An interim report released in March said law enforcement should have seized the shooter’s guns and put him in protective custody weeks before the shootings.
The commission’s public hearings revealed the swift response by police to the shootings, but also the ensuing chaos during the massive search for the gunman. Also revealed were missed opportunities to stop the shooter, 40-year-old Robert Card, an Army Reservist whose mental health was spiraling.
Card’s sister testified at a hearing, her hand resting on his military helmet as she spoke.
Kathleen Walker, whose husband Jason was killed while rushing at Card to try to stop him, also testified, and said: “The system failed, and we can’t allow this to happen again.”
Family members and fellow reservists said Card had exhibited delusional and paranoid behavior months before the shootings. He was hospitalized by the Army during training in July 2023, but a commanding officer acknowledged not checking to ensure compliance on follow-up care.
The starkest warning came in September when a fellow reservist texted an Army supervisor, saying, “I believe he’s going to snap and do a mass shooting.” Card was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a search that followed the shootings.
Army officials conducted their own investigation after the shootings that Lt. Gen. Jody Daniels, then the chief of the Army Reserves, said found “a series of failures by unit leadership.” Three Army Reserve officers were disciplined for dereliction of duty, according to the report, which noted communication failures within the chain of command and between military and civilian hospitals.
Maine’s legislature passed new guns laws for the state, which has a tradition of firearms ownership, in the wake of the shootings. A three-day waiting period for gun purchases went into effect earlier this month.
The Lewiston commission is chaired by Daniel Wathen, a former chief justice of Maine’s highest court. The seven-member commission also included two former federal prosecutors, two additional former judges, a psychiatrist and executive at a psychiatric hospital, and the state’s former chief forensic psychologist.
veryGood! (33)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Wisconsin impeachment review panel includes former GOP speaker, conservative justice
- One of Princess Diana's Legendary Sweaters Just Made History With $1.1 Million Sale at Auction
- See Sofía Vergara's transformation into Griselda Blanco for new Netflix series: Photos
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- North Dakota panel will reconsider denying permit for Summit CO2 pipeline
- Hurricane Lee livestreams: Watch live webcams on Cape Cod as storm approaches New England
- The teen mental health crisis is now urgent: Dr. Lisa Damour on 5 Things podcast
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Why Maren Morris Is Stepping Back From Country Music
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Remains exhumed from a Tulsa cemetery as the search for 1921 Race Massacre victims has resumed
- EV battery plant workers fight for better rights, pay
- Family sues police after man was fatally shot by officers responding to wrong house
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Hugh Jackman and Deborra-lee Jackman separate after 27 years of marriage
- Sisters of YouTube mom Ruby Franke speak out about child abuse charges: I had no idea what was happening
- AP PHOTOS: In India, river islanders face the brunt of increasingly frequent flooding
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Man gets 15 years to life for killing commuter he shoved into moving train in unprovoked attack
Republican presidential hopefuls generally overlook New Hampshire in effort to blunt Trump in Iowa
US Soccer getting new digs with announcement of national team training center in Atlanta
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Sean 'Diddy' Combs gets key to New York, says Biggie would be proud: 'He'd probably be crying'
The Taliban have detained 18 staff, including a foreigner, from an Afghanistan-based NGO, it says
UNESCO puts 2 locations in war-ravaged Ukraine on its list of historic sites in danger