Current:Home > Invest1 American dead in Sudan as U.S. readies troops for potential embassy evacuation amid heavy fighting -Blueprint Money Mastery
1 American dead in Sudan as U.S. readies troops for potential embassy evacuation amid heavy fighting
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 00:23:50
Washington — An American citizen has died in Sudan amid intense fighting between two rival generals, the State Department said Thursday, as the U.S. repositions troops in the region ahead of a potential evacuation of the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum.
"We can confirm the death of one U.S. citizen in Sudan," a State Department spokesperson said. "We are in touch with the family and offer our deepest condolences to them on their loss."
The State Department declined to offer further details on the death, citing respect for the person's family.
Despite a ceasefire meant to bring an end to the bloodshed, hundreds of people have been killed in Sudan as fighting continues between forces controlled by Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who leads the Sudanese Armed Forces, and Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who is in charge of the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group. A marked U.S. diplomatic convoy came under fire earlier this week, although no one was injured.
The Pentagon is "moving forward to pre-position some military forces and capabilities nearby just for contingency purposes in case they would be needed for any kind of evacuation," National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby confirmed Thursday during the White House press briefing.
Kirby said President Biden had authorized the move in recent days, but stressed that no decision has been made about whether to evacuate U.S. personnel.
"We want to make sure we've got the capability ready in case it's needed," Kirby said. A U.S. official said the Pentagon has moved special operations forces into Djibouti, a small country on the Horn of Africa.
In a statement earlier in the day, the Defense Department said U.S. Africa Command is monitoring the situation and "conducting prudent planning for various contingencies."
"As part of this, we are deploying additional capabilities nearby in the region for contingency purposes related to securing and potentially facilitating the departure of U.S. Embassy personnel from Sudan, if circumstances require it," the statement said.
Americans in the country have been urged to shelter in place. State Department deputy spokesperson Vedant Patel said Thursday it is "currently not safe to undertake a U.S. government-coordinated evacuation of private U.S. citizens."
Patel also said that all U.S. personnel are accounted for, and he is not currently aware of specific threats against embassy personnel or U.S. citizens in the country.
Senior U.S. officials are in direct contact with the leadership of both sides and are pushing for an immediate ceasefire, a National Security spokesperson said.
Eleanor Watson, David Martin, Haley Ott, Olivia Gazis and Willie Inman contributed to this report.
- In:
- Sudan
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital. Reach her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hausofcait
TwitterveryGood! (4497)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Virtual Power Plants Are Coming to Save the Grid, Sooner Than You Might Think
- Inside Penelope Disick's 11th Birthday Trip to Hawaii With Pregnant Mom Kourtney Kardashian and Pals
- Can Iceberg Surges in the Arctic Trigger Rapid Warming at the Other End of The World?
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Megan Fox's Bikini Photo Shoot on a Tree Gets Machine Gun Kelly All Fired Up
- Minnesota Emerges as the Midwest’s Leader in the Clean Energy Transition
- What to Know About Suspected Long Island Serial Killer Rex Heuermann
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Love is Blind's Lauren Speed-Hamilton Reveals If She and Husband Cameron Would Ever Return To TV
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Q&A: The Power of One Voice, and Now, Many: The Lawyer Who Sounded the Alarm on ‘Forever Chemicals’
- Abandoned Oil and Gas Wells Emit Carcinogens and Other Harmful Pollutants, Groundbreaking Study Shows
- Carlee Russell Found: Untangling Case of Alabama Woman Who Disappeared After Spotting Child on Interstate
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- See the Stylish Way Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Celebrated Their First Wedding Anniversary
- Alix Earle Recommended This $8 Dermaplaning Tool and I Had To Try It: Here’s What Happened
- How Dueling PDFs Explain a Fight Over the Future of the Grid
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Sharna Burgess Deserves a 10 for Her Birthday Tribute to Fine AF Brian Austin Green
Virtual Power Plants Are Coming to Save the Grid, Sooner Than You Might Think
Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Beauty Deals You Can't Get Anywhere Else: Charlotte Tilbury, Olaplex & More
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Clean Energy Experts Are Stretched Too Thin
Pennsylvania Expects $400 Million in Infrastructure Funds to Begin Plugging Thousands of Abandoned Oil Wells
Inside Climate News Staff Writers Liza Gross and Aydali Campa Recognized for Accountability Journalism