Current:Home > reviewsKing Charles III to resume royal duties next week after cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace says -Blueprint Money Mastery
King Charles III to resume royal duties next week after cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace says
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 14:19:30
King Charles III is expected to resume his royal duties next week following cancer treatment, Buckingham Palace announced Friday.
The king took a break from public appearances nearly three months ago after he was diagnosed with an undisclosed type of cancer while he was undergoing treatment for an enlarged prostate.
The palace said Charles will make a public visit to a cancer treatment center on Tuesday in the first of several appearances he will make. He will be joined by Queen Camilla, where they will meet with medical specialists and patients.
Another of his first major engagements will be hosting a state visit by the emperor and empress of Japan in June.
"As the first anniversary of The Coronation approaches, Their Majesties remain deeply grateful for the many kindnesses and good wishes they have received from around the world throughout the joys and challenges of the past year," the palace said in a statement shared on social media that accompanied a new photo of Charles and Camilla.
The palace didn't provide a specific update on the king's health, though it says that the "medical team are very encouraged by the progress made so far and remain positive about the King's continued recovery.″
In January, the 75-year-old king had undergone treatment for an enlarged prostate, which the palace said was not cancerous. However, during that treatment, a "separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests identified a form of cancer."
At the time, Buckingham Palace said Charles had "commenced a schedule of regular treatments," and that during that treatment he would "postpone public-facing duties." It said he would continue with his official business and office work as usual.
While Charles did not participate in any official royal duties during treatment, he and Camilla were seen arriving at St. Mary Magdalene Church, close to Sandringham House in eastern England, in February.
The appearance came a day after he expressed thanks for the messages of support he had received from the public. In a statement, the monarch said such thoughts are "the greatest comfort and encouragement."
"It is equally heartening to hear how sharing my own diagnosis has helped promote public understanding and shine a light on the work of all those organizations which support cancer patients and their families across the U.K. and wider world," he said in a statement.
Charles also returned to the public eye at the Easter Sunday service in Windsor last month.
The king is not the only member of the British royal family undergoing cancer treatment. Catherine, the Princess of Wales and wife to Prince William, shared in March that she too had been diagnosed with an unspecified cancer and was undergoing treatment.
In her video announcement, Kate said she'd begun a course of "preventative chemotherapy" which sparked an outpouring of sympathy from around the world. She did not say what kind of cancer it was or share additional details about her diagnosis.
"This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family," Kate said in the video message. "As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be OK."
William made his first public appearance last week. Kate has not made any official public appearances since December 2023.
After the king made his diagnosis public, CBS News royal contributor Julian Payne, who served as communications director for then-Prince Charles, noted on CBS Mornings that under the reign of Charles' mother, Queen Elizabeth II, health issues of the monarch and other senior members of the royal family were never discussed. He said Charles took a bold step by addressing his health problems, which may be due to a desire to encourage others to get themselves checked and make doctor's appointments.
- In:
- British Royal Family
Lucia Suarez Sang is an associate managing editor at cbsnews.com. Previously, Lucia was the director of digital content at FOX61 News in Connecticut and has previously written for outlets including FoxNews.com, Fox News Latino and the Rutland Herald.
TwitterveryGood! (8)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Feel like you have huge pores? Here's what experts say you can do about it.
- Why Fans Think Pregnant Katherine Schwarzenegger Hinted at Sex of Baby No. 3
- Watch: How to explore famous museums around the world with Google Arts & Culture
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Not All Companies Disclose Emissions From Their Investments, and That’s a Problem for Investors
- Olympic gymnastics recap: US men win bronze in team final, first medal in 16 years
- Shop Coach Outlet’s Whimsical Collection: Score Fairy Cottagecore Bags and Fashion up to 65% Off
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Mom sees son committing bestiality, sex acts with horse on camera; son charged: Authorities
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Dallas Cowboys' Sam Williams to miss 2024 NFL season after suffering knee injury
- Olympian Nikki Hiltz is model for transgender, nonbinary youth when they need it most
- Torri Huske, Gretchen Walsh swim to Olympic gold, silver in women's 100 butterfly
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Martin Phillipps, guitarist and lead singer of The Chills, dies at 61
- Martin Phillipps, guitarist and lead singer of The Chills, dies at 61
- Team USA Water Polo Star Maggie Steffens' Sister-in-Law Dies After Traveling to Paris Olympics
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
'Lord of the Rings' exclusive: See how Ents, creatures come alive in 'Rings of Power'
3-year-old dies after falling from 8th-floor window in Kansas City suburb
3-year-old dies after falling from 8th-floor window in Kansas City suburb
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Simone Biles will compete in all four events in Olympics team final, despite calf tweak
A move to limit fowl in Iowa’s capital eggs residents on to protest with a chicken parade
Reports: 1 man dead from canyon fall at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois