Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case -Blueprint Money Mastery
Fastexy:Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:19:06
Donald Trump is Fastexyasking a federal court to order a new trial in the civil case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll or to reduce the damages awarded to her by a jury that found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
The former president's attorneys argued in a filing on Thursday that the $5 million verdict was "grossly excessive."
Carroll accused Trump of attacking her in a department store changing room during a chance encounter in the mid-1990s, and then of defaming her after she went public with the story in 2019.
Trump's attorneys argued in the new filing that a $2 million portion of the award was excessive because the jury did not find him liable for rape.
Trump has denied assaulting Carroll and claimed her story was fabricated. She testified that they had been amiably walking through the store, joking during a light conversation, before Trump pushed her against a wall, her head slamming against it, and forcefully penetrated her with his hand and penis.
Trump's attorneys claimed $2.7 million in compensatory damages for defamation were based on "speculation" about how many people viewed a defamatory social media post by Trump in which he denied the allegation. The filing also claims the remaining punitive damages related to the defamation were awarded "without due process."
Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll, said in a statement to CBS News that Trump is trying to argue Carroll doesn't "deserve" the damages awarded to her, "even if he did those things."
"Trump's arguments are frivolous," Kaplan said. "The jury carefully considered the evidence that Ms. Carroll presented, and Trump did not put on a single witness of his own. This time, Trump will not be able to escape the consequences of his actions."
Carroll's attorneys argued during the eight-day trial that her allegations against Trump fit with what they called Trump's "modus operandi." In addition to witnesses who said Carroll confided in them after the incident, the jury heard from two other women who described Trump suddenly turning casual confrontations into sexual misconduct. They also watched the "Access Hollywood" video clip that emerged during the 2016 campaign, in which Trump could be heard crudely describing grabbing women by their genitals.
Trump has also appealed the verdict and continues to vehemently deny the allegations. Carroll amended a separate, previously filed defamation lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in new damages. She claimed comments Trump made at a televised town hall — the day after the jury found him liable — were also disparaging.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (3487)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Mourners attend funeral for American activist witness says was shot dead by Israeli troops
- Hilfiger goes full nautical for Fashion Week, with runway show on former Staten Island Ferry boat
- Why seaweed is one of the best foods you can eat when managing your weight
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- A federal judge tosses a lawsuit over the ban on recorded inmate interviews in South Carolina
- What are the most popular toys of 2024? Put these on your Christmas list early
- Selena Gomez Reacts to Benny Blanco Engagement Rumors
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Caleb Williams has forgettable NFL debut with Chicago Bears – except for the end result
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- The Bachelorette’s Jenn Tran Reunites With Jonathon Johnson After Devin Strader Breakup
- The Latest: Harris and Trump are prepping for the debate but their strategies are vastly different
- Ana de Armas Shares Insight Into Her Private World Away From Hollywood
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Fake Heiress Anna Delvey Slams Whoopi Goldberg Over Dancing With the Stars Criticism
- Kate Middleton Shares She's Completed Chemotherapy Treatment After Cancer Diagnosis
- Jewish students have a right to feel safe. Universities can't let them down again.
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
‘Shogun’ wins 11 Emmys with more chances to come at Creative Arts Emmy Awards
New Hampshire governor helps save man choking on lobster roll at seafood festival contest
'Hillbilly Elegy' director Ron Howard 'concerned' by Trump and Vance campaign rhetoric
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Why The Bear Star Will Poulter's Fitness Transformation Has Everyone Saying Yes, Chef
The Lilly Pulitzer Sunshine Sale Just Started: Score Rare 70% Off Deals Before They Sell Out
Wildfires east of LA, south of Reno, Nevada, threaten homes, buildings, lead to evacuations