Current:Home > ScamsJudge approves $600 million settlement for residents near fiery Ohio derailment -Blueprint Money Mastery
Judge approves $600 million settlement for residents near fiery Ohio derailment
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 13:16:42
A federal judge on Wednesday approved a $600 million class-action settlement Wednesday that Norfolk Southern railroad offered to everyone who lived within 20 miles (32 kilometers) of last year’s disastrous derailment in East Palestine, Ohio.
Judge Benita Pearson gave the deal final approval after a hearing where the lawyers who negotiated it with the railroad argued that residents overwhelmingly supported it, attorneys for the residents and railroad spokesperson Heather Garcia told The Associated Press. Roughly 55,000 claims were filed. Only 370 households and 47 businesses opted out.
Those who did object to the deal were vocal in their concerns that the settlement won’t provide enough and that the deal was rushed through so quickly that they can’t possibly know what the potential health impact from the derailment will be. They say it’s hard to know all the risks, given the way test results have been reported by the EPA and the fact that the lawyers haven’t disclosed everything they learned in their investigation.
The objectors had hoped the judge would order the plaintiff’s lawyers to release the tests their own expert did after the derailment and address their concerns about a toxicologist who told them at a town meeting that they shouldn’t worry because he doesn’t think anyone will develop cancer. That angered residents who have been complaining about unexplained ailments since the derailment and talking with doctors who are conducting studies to try and determine what the health impacts will be.
“These attorneys were bullying people and telling them they were never going to get any money if they didn’t take this. People felt backed into a corner,” resident Jami Wallace said.
The judge’s approval clears the way for payments to start going out quickly. The lawyers had previously said they hoped to get the first checks in the mail before the end of the year.
As part of the settlement, any aid residents received from the railroad will be deducted from their final payments. Wallace and others who had to relocate for an extended period while the railroad paid for hotels or rental homes won’t get anything.
Anyone who lived within 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) of the derailment can get up to $70,000 per household for property damage plus up to $25,000 per person for health problems. The payments drop off the farther people lived from the derailment down to as little as a few hundred dollars at the outer edges.
“This outcome would not have been possible without the resilience and support of the East Palestine community and the broader class of impacted residents and business owners,” the plaintiffs’ attorneys said in a statement. “We look forward to beginning the distribution of funds in the coming weeks to help this community rebuild and move forward.”
When the train derailed late on Feb. 3, 2023, tank cars full of hazardous chemicals ruptured and spilled their contents that caught fire just outside the small town on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. Then three days later officials decided to needlessly blow open five tank cars of vinyl chloride and burn the toxic plastic ingredient inside because they feared they would explode.
Since the derailment, the railroad has offered residents and the community $108 million in assistance and paid for the massive cleanup.
“We made a promise to make things right and this is just one piece of that commitment,” the railroad said in a statement. “We remain committed to this community for the long haul and look forward to continuing our relationship with the Village as we work to help the area recover and thrive.”
veryGood! (5534)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Hundreds of thousands of improperly manufactured children's cups recalled over unsafe lead levels
- Seeing pink: Brands hop on Barbie bandwagon amid movie buzz
- Activists Target Public Relations Groups For Greenwashing Fossil Fuels
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- The Justice Department adds to suits against Norfolk Southern over the Ohio derailment
- Intel co-founder and philanthropist Gordon Moore has died at 94
- Sophia Culpo’s Ex Braxton Berrios Responds to Cheating Allegations
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- The Navy Abandons a Plan to Develop a Golf Course on a Protected Conservation Site Near the Naval Academy in Annapolis
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Anheuser-Busch CEO Addresses Bud Light Controversy Over Dylan Mulvaney
- Inside Clean Energy: Offshore Wind Takes a Big Step Forward, but Remains Short of the Long-Awaited Boom
- Photo of Connecticut McDonald's $18 Big Mac meal sparks debate online
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- One Last Climate Warning in New IPCC Report: ‘Now or Never’
- Former NYPD Commissioner Bernard Kerik in discussions to meet with special counsel
- Panera rolls out hand-scanning technology that has raised privacy concerns
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Gwyneth Paltrow’s Son Moses Looks Just Like Dad Chris Martin in New Photo
Medical bills can cause a financial crisis. Here's how to negotiate them
Simone Biles Is Making a Golden Return to Competitive Gymnastics 2 Years After Tokyo Olympics Run
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
6 people hit by car in D.C. hospital parking garage
Disney World board picked by DeSantis says predecessors stripped them of power
Inside Clean Energy: What’s Cool, What We Suspect and What We Don’t Yet Know about Ford’s Electric F-150