Current:Home > ContactGeorge Santos ends comeback bid for Congress after raising no money -Blueprint Money Mastery
George Santos ends comeback bid for Congress after raising no money
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 13:31:26
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos on Tuesday said he is dropping his longshot bid to return to Congress, months after he was expelled from the House while facing a slew of federal fraud charges.
Santos, who was running as an independent candidate for the 1st Congressional District in New York, said he was withdrawing from the race in a post on the social media platform X.
The announcement came after the disgraced former congressman’s campaign committee reported no fundraising or expenditures in March, raising speculation that his campaign had failed to get off the ground.
Santos last month launched a campaign to challenge Republican Rep. Nick LaLota in the GOP primary for the eastern Long Island congressional district, which is a different district than the one he previously represented. Weeks later, Santos said he was leaving the Republican Party and would instead run for the seat as an independent.
“Although Nick and I don’t have the same voting record and I remain critical of his abysmal record, I don’t want to split the ticket and be responsible for handing the house to Dems,” Santos wrote on X, adding, “Staying in this race all but guarantees a victory for the Dems in the race.”
Santos was expelled from the House in December following a damaging ethics committee report that determined there was “overwhelming evidence” of lawbreaking and that he “cannot be trusted.” He was just the sixth member expelled by colleagues in the chamber’s history.
The former congressman has pleaded not guilty to federal charges that include deceiving Congress about his wealth, stealing from his campaign and obtaining unemployment benefits he didn’t deserve. He has a trial tentatively scheduled for later this year.
In his post on X, Santos did not rule out seeking office in the future.
“It’s only goodbye for now,” he wrote, “I’ll be back.”
veryGood! (36892)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Found Art
- The Latest: Trump faces new indictment as Harris seeks to defy history for VPs
- Actress Sara Chase Details “Secret Double Life” of Battling Cancer While on Broadway
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Sports Reporter Malika Andrews Marries Dave McMenamin at the Foot of Golden Gate Bridge
- Having a family is expensive. Here’s what Harris and Trump have said about easing costs
- Paralympic Games opening ceremony starts the final chapter on a long summer of sport in Paris
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- FEMA opens disaster recovery centers in Vermont after last month’s floods
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Police in Washington city banned from personalizing equipment in settlement over shooting Black man
- Sports Reporter Malika Andrews Marries Dave McMenamin at the Foot of Golden Gate Bridge
- Colorado plans to relocate wolf pack as reintroduction effort stumbles amid livestock attacks
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- 'Robin Hood in reverse': Former 'Real Housewives' star convicted of embezzling $15 million
- Video shows long-tailed shark struggling to get back into the ocean at NYC beach
- California Climate and Health Groups Urge Legislators to Pass Polluter Pays Bills
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
'Who steals trees?': Video shows man casually stealing trees from front yards in Houston
'The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power' Season 2: Release date, how to watch, stream
'Deadpool & Wolverine' deleted scene teases this scene-stealing character could return
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 27 drawing; Jackpot climbs to $582 million
Stefanos Tsitsipas exits US Open: 'I'm nothing compared to the player I was before'
Tristan Thompson Celebrates “Twin” True Thompson’s Milestone With Ex Khloe Kardashian