Current:Home > ScamsThreat against schools in New Jersey forces several closures; 3 in custody -Blueprint Money Mastery
Threat against schools in New Jersey forces several closures; 3 in custody
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 22:03:50
At least three suspects were in custody Monday after an online threat against schools in four New Jersey districts led two to close, canceling classes for almost 6,000 students.
Threats were made against specific schools in the Woodbury, Deptford, Glassboro and Haddon Heights districts in southern New Jersey. Woodbury and Deptford closed all schools while Glassboro and Haddon Heights schools were open but with an increased police presence.
Glassboro police said in a statement that two youths from Woodbury and one from Glassboro had been arrested. The statement, citing a threat directed at Bowe Middle School, credited members of the community with aiding in identification of the suspects.
"The children that attend school in our district may not biologically be ours, but we look after them as if they are our own," the statement said, adding that police "will never stop taking whatever measures necessary to ensure they are protected from the evil that tries to instill fear and cause chaos."
The threat comes days after a 14-year-old student is accused of fatally shooting two students and two teachers at his high school in Winder, Georgia.
'14-year-olds don't need AR-15s':Ga. senator aims at gun lobby as churches mourn
Screen shots from TikTok posted in community Facebook pages showed the threats and list of schools.
The Woodbury City district, with more than 1,700 students, posted a statement from Superintendent Andrew T. Bell Sr. on its website saying its schools would be closed Monday. Bell said the threat was not believed to be credible but that the district "exercising extreme caution to ensure the safety of our students, staff and families. Please be assured that school safety remains our top priority, and we are taking every precaution necessary to maintain a secure environment."
Bell said the district was working closely with police investigating the source of this threat. He urged families to "remain vigilant" and report any information that might be relevant to the investigation to law enforcement or school district officials.
Kevin Kanauss, superintendent of schools for more than 4,000 students in Deptford Township, said that "after carefully reviewing the progress of the investigation with our security team and law enforcement this evening, I have decided to close schools for Monday, September 9, 2024, out of an abundance of caution and for the safety and security of our entire Deptford Spartan Community."
Arrests made in Florida school threats
In Florida, arrests were made over the weekend in two school threat cases. A 13-year-old boy was arrested Sunday, accused of making a social media threats against Madison County schools on Instagram. The sheriff's department said late Sunday the investigation will remain active until it is determined that the juvenile acted alone.
In Broward Sheriff’s Office said it arrested a 14-year-old high school student late Saturday for making written threats to kill or conduct a mass shooting. She posted multiple stories on Instagram on Saturday afternoon that contained threats, including one post that listed several schools across Broward County that would be targeted with violence. Other posts contained additional threats of a school shooting or other violence.
Contributing: Phaedra Trethan
veryGood! (22)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- NFL, players union informally discussing expanded regular-season schedule
- Biden Administration Targets Domestic Emissions of Climate Super-Pollutant with Eye Towards U.S.-China Climate Agreement
- State election directors fear the Postal Service can’t handle expected crush of mail-in ballots
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- All the Surprising Rules Put in Place for the 2024 Olympics
- John Mayall, tireless and influential British blues pioneer, dies at 90
- Knights of Columbus covers shrine’s mosaics by ex-Jesuit artist accused of abusing women
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Donald Trump and Bryson DeChambeau aim to break 50 on YouTube: Five takeaways
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Chris Brown sued for $50M after alleged backstage assault of concertgoers in Texas
- Mattel introduces two first-of-their-kind inclusive Barbie dolls: See the new additions
- Darren Walker’s Ford Foundation legacy reached far beyond its walls
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Scheana Shay Addresses Rumors She's Joining The Valley Amid Vanderpump Rules' Uncertain Future
- Old Navy Jeans Blowout: Grab Jeans Starting at Under $14 & Snag Up to 69% Off Styles for a Limited Time
- Simone Biles won’t be required to do all four events in Olympic gymnastics team final
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Israeli athletes to receive 24-hour protection during Paris Olympics
Mattel introduces its first blind Barbie, new Barbie with Down syndrome
Trump expected to turn his full focus on Harris at first rally since Biden’s exit from 2024 race
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Monday is the hottest day recorded on Earth, beating Sunday’s record, European climate agency says
The Daily Money: Kamala Harris and the economy
Find Out Which America's Sweethearts: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Stars Made the 2024 Squad