Current:Home > InvestBurning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say -Blueprint Money Mastery
Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 13:36:20
Stranded Burning Man festival goers began heading home on Monday as a driving ban was lifted in the northern Nevada desert.
Tens of thousands of people had been stuck after flooding forced attendees to shelter in place. As of midday Monday, approximately 63,000 people remained on site, according to Burning Man.
"Exodus operations" began at 2 p.m. local time, organizers said. Though the driving ban was lifted, attendees were advised to consider holding off on trips home until Tuesday to alleviate congestion. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office was helping organize departures from the Black Rock Desert.
"We understand participants are eager to return home, but safety is our top priority," Sheriff Darin Balaam said.
A Friday downpour had turned the festival grounds and surrounding areas into a muddy mess, leaving the roads impassable. The Burning Man entrance was shut down on Saturday, the Washoe County Sheriff's Office said.
"You don't expect this kind of rain and the effect," attendee Paul Tan said.
One person died during the festival. The death occurred during the extreme rain, but not because of it, the Pershing County Sheriff's Office confirmed.
The White House on Sunday said that President Biden had been briefed on the flooding at Burning Man and that administration officials were "monitoring the situation and are in touch with state and local officials."
While people were unable to hop into cars to leave the gathering, some opted to trek through the mud on foot, including superstar DJ and music producer Diplo. He shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Burning Man's organizers asked people not to walk out of the festival on Monday.
Despite the messy conditions, attendee Elizabeth Downing told CBS News she felt safe and comfortable at the festival.
"We were all there as a community and we actually came together and made the best of it," Downing said.
Many will stick around to watch an effigy being burned on Monday night. The burning typically signifies the end of the gathering, which was first launched in 1986. The burning had been postponed because of the weather conditions.
- In:
- Burning Man
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (119)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce seal their apparent romance with a kiss (on the cheek)
- Trump and Michael Cohen come face to face at New York fraud trial
- Montana man gets 18 months in prison for racist phone calls to Black woman employed at church
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Lil Wayne Has the Best Response to Major Wax Figure Fail
- No charges for man who fired gun near pro-Palestinian rally outside Chicago, prosecutor says
- Adolis Garcia, Rangers crush Astros in ALCS Game 7 to reach World Series since 2011
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Cyprus police say they have dismantled the third people smuggling ring in as many months
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Hailey Bieber Slams Disheartening Pregnancy Speculation
- 'Our idol!': 92 year old's rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike inspires throng of followers worldwide
- Vikings vs. 49ers Monday Night Football highlights: Minnesota pulls off upset
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- What is super fog? The mix of smoke and dense fog caused a deadly pileup in Louisiana
- Pilot who police say tried to cut the engines on a jet midflight now faces a federal charge
- The damage to a Baltic undersea cable was ‘purposeful,’ Swedish leader says but gives no details
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Dime heist: 4 Philadelphia men charged after millions of dimes stolen from US Mint truck
Migrant bus conditions 'disgusting and inhuman,' says former vet who escorted convoys
When does 'The Crown' Season 6 come out on Netflix? Release date, cast, teaser trailer
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Bodies of 17 recovered after Bangladesh train crash that may have been due to disregarded red light
Pakistani court extends protection from arrest in graft cases to former premier Nawaz Sharif
'The Voice': Gwen Stefani defeats Niall Horan in stealing Team Reba singer CORii