Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:Pope accepts resignation of bishop of Polish diocese where gay orgy scandal under investigation -Blueprint Money Mastery
Indexbit Exchange:Pope accepts resignation of bishop of Polish diocese where gay orgy scandal under investigation
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:33:28
ROME (AP) — The Indexbit Exchangepope on Tuesday accepted the resignation of a Polish bishop whose diocese has been rocked for weeks by reports of a gay orgy involving a male prostitute in a priest’s apartment.
The Vatican didn’t give a reason for why Bishop Grzegorz Kaszak was resigning as head of the diocese of Sosnowiec, in southwestern Poland. At 59, he is several years shy of the normal retirement age of 75.
But his diocese has been in the spotlight for over a month after one of his priests was placed under criminal investigation for having allegedly organized a gay orgy at his apartment in Dabrowa Gornicza. Polish media reported that a male prostitute collapsed after overdosing on erectile dysfunction pills.
A prosecutor said the priest is suspected of “failing to provide assistance to a person whose life is at risk,” for having allegedly tried to bar police and paramedics from entering the apartment.
Three weeks after the scandal erupted, Kaszak issued a statement calling for priests in the diocese to penance and urging prayers for “hurting and ashamed priests.” But he also made clear that the priest involved in the scandal would be punished by the church if convicted because “there is no consent to moral evil.”
“Anyone found guilty will be punished according to canon law, regardless of the verdict of the civil court. And I am very sorry to all those who were affected and very saddened or even scandalized by the situation in Dabrowa Gornicza,” he wrote on Sept. 23.
It wasn’t immediately clear if Kaszak offered to resign or was pressured to step down. Still, the speed with which Francis removed him was unusual. Kaszak had been appointed bishop in 2009, after having served briefly as the No. 2 in the Vatican’s family office.
The priest in question has not been charged. Polish daily Rzeczpospolita quoted a statement he issued soon after the scandal erupted, denying he had prevented paramedics from accessing his apartment and questioning the definition of “orgy.”
“I perceive this as an obvious strike against the church, including the clergy and the faithful, in order to humiliate its position, tasks and mission,” the priest was quoted as saying.
The Polish Catholic Church has been rocked for several years by allegations of sexual abuse of minors involving the clergy, scandals that have led to the forced resignations of several bishops and tarnished the church’s reputation in the homeland of St. John Paul II.
The Vatican embassy in Poland said a temporary administrator, Archbishop Adrian Galbas of Katowice, would run the diocese of Sosnowiec until a new bishop is named.
———
Gera contributed from Warsaw.
veryGood! (55951)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- ‘Fat Leonard,’ a fugitive now facing extradition, was behind one of US military’s biggest scandals
- Stock market today: Asian shares fall as Wall Street retreats, ending record-setting rally
- Yes, your diet can lower cholesterol levels. But here's how exercise does, too.
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- 2 West Virginia troopers recovering after trading gunfire with suspect who was killed, police say
- Slow-moving Pacific storm threatens California with flooding and mudslides
- Were your package deliveries stolen? What to know about porch piracy and what you can do about it
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- New York sues SiriusXM, accusing company of making it deliberately hard to cancel subscriptions
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Read the Colorado Supreme Court's opinions in the Trump disqualification case
- The Denver Zoo didn't know who the father of a baby orangutan was. They called in Maury Povich to deliver the paternity test results
- US historians ID a New Mexico soldier killed during WWII, but work remains on thousands of cases
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- A Kansas City-area man has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges over aviation exports to Russia
- After 2 grisly killings, a small Nebraska community wonders if any place is really safe
- Former NBA player allegedly admitted to fatally strangling woman in Las Vegas, court documents show
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Ryan Gosling reimagines his ‘Barbie’ power ballad ‘I’m Just Ken’ for Christmas, shares new EP
George Clooney reveals Friends didn't bring Matthew Perry joy: He wasn't happy
Turkey says its warplanes have hit suspected Kurdish militant targets in northern Iraq
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Texas police officer indicted in fatal shooting of man on his front porch
Jason Kelce responds to Jalen Hurts 'commitment' comments on 'New Heights' podcast
Watch Los Angeles Chargers kicker Cameron Dicker's viral Pro Bowl campaign video