Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-The Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security -Blueprint Money Mastery
Oliver James Montgomery-The Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:20:05
REHOBOTH BEACH,Oliver James Montgomery Del. (AP) — The Secret Service now acknowledges it denied some requests by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign for increased security at his events in the years before the assassination attempt on him at a recent rally.
In the immediate aftermath of the July 13 attack, the law enforcement agency had denied rejecting such requests. But the Secret Service acknowledged late Saturday, a week after the attempt on Trump’s life, that it had turned back some requests to increase security around the former president.
The reversal is likely to be a key focus of a congressional hearing Monday where Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle is expected to appear before lawmakers who have been expressing anger over security lapses that allowed a 20-year-old gunman to climb atop the roof of a nearby building at Trump’s rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, and fire his weapon.
Trump was wounded in the right ear, one rallygoer was killed and two others were injured.
“The Secret Service has a vast, dynamic, and intricate mission. Every day we work in a dynamic threat environment to ensure our protectees are safe and secure across multiple events, travel, and other challenging environments,” the agency’s chief spokesperson, Anthony Guglielmi, said in a statement released late Saturday to The Washington Post. The newspaper was first to report on the agency’s reversal, which it said was based on detailed questions submitted to the agency.
“We execute a comprehensive and layered strategy to balance personnel, technology, and specialized operational needs,” Guglielmi said.
He said the agency will rely on state and local law enforcement departments in some cases where specialized Secret Service units are unavailable.
“In some instances where specific Secret Service specialized units or resources were not provided, the agency made modifications to ensure the security of the protectee,” Gugliemi said. “This may include utilizing state or local partners to provide specialized functions or otherwise identifying alternatives to reduce public exposure of a protectee.”
After the assassination attempt, as reports began to circulate that the agency had denied the Trump campaign’s requests, Guglielmi issued a denial.
There is “an untrue assertion that a member of the former President’s team requested additional security resources & that those were rebuffed,” Gugliemi said in a social media post. “This is absolutely false. In fact, we added protective resources & technology & capabilities as part of the increased campaign travel tempo.”
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s live coverage of this year’s election.
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Stay informed. Keep your pulse on the news with breaking news email alerts. Sign up here.
Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has said what happened was a “failure” while several lawmakers have called on Cheatle to resign or be fired. Cheatle so far retains the support of Democratic President Joe Biden and Mayorkas.
Biden, who is campaigning to deny Trump a second term in the White House, has ordered an independent investigation. The Homeland Security Department and congressional committee are also investigating.
Trump says he was given no indication that law enforcement had identified a suspicious person when the former president took the stage in Pennsylvania. Some rallygoers said in interviews after the attempted assassination that they saw the gunman on the roof before Trump walked out onto the stage and had alerted law enforcement authorities on site.
In an interview with Fox News host Jesse Waters set to air Monday, Trump said, “No, nobody mentioned it, nobody said there was a problem” before he took the stage and a gunman opened fire. “They could’ve said, ‘Let’s wait for 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 5 minutes, something.’ Nobody said. I think that was a mistake.”
Trump also questioned the security lapses and how the gunman was able to access the roof of the building.
“How did somebody get on that roof? And why wasn’t he reported? Because people saw that he was on the roof,” Trump said. “So you would’ve thought someone would’ve done something about it.”
Local law enforcement officers had seen the man and deemed him suspicious enough to circulate his photo and witnesses reported seeing him scaling the building.
—-
Associated Press writer Jill Colvin in New York contributed to this report.
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Katharine Hayhoe’s Post-Election Advice: Fight Fear, Embrace Hope and Work Together
- Gerry Faust, the former head football coach at Notre Dame, has died at 89
- Kyle Richards Shares an Amazing Bottega Dupe From Amazon Along With Her Favorite Fall Trends
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Federal judge blocks Louisiana law that requires classrooms to display Ten Commandments
- Former NFL coach Jack Del Rio charged with operating vehicle while intoxicated
- Britney Spears Reunites With Son Jayden Federline After His Move to Hawaii
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Video shows Starlink satellite that resembled fireball breaking up over the Southwest: Watch
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Katharine Hayhoe’s Post-Election Advice: Fight Fear, Embrace Hope and Work Together
- The Stanley x LoveShackFancy Collaboration That Sold Out in Minutes Is Back for Part 2—Don’t Miss Out!
- Auburn surges, while Kansas remains No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Brian Austin Green Shares Message to Sharna Burgess Amid Ex Megan Fox's Baby News
- Too Hot to Handle’s Francesca Farago Gives Birth, Welcomes Twins With Jesse Sullivan
- Too Hot to Handle’s Francesca Farago Gives Birth, Welcomes Twins With Jesse Sullivan
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Love Is Blind’s Chelsea Blackwell Reacts to Megan Fox’s Baby News
Jury awards Abu Ghraib detainees $42 million, holds contractor responsible
Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, BMW, Porsche among 304k vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
Travis Hunter, the 2
Sam LaPorta injury update: Lions TE injures shoulder, 'might miss' Week 11
Francesca Farago Details Health Complications That Led to Emergency C-Section of Twins
Congress returns to unfinished business and a new Trump era