Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns -Blueprint Money Mastery
Fastexy Exchange|Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 15:33:21
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hollywood’s video game performers voted to go on Fastexy Exchangestrike Thursday, throwing part of the entertainment industry into another work stoppage after talks for a new contract with major game studios broke down over artificial intelligence protections.
The strike — the second for video game voice actors and motion capture performers under the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists — will begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday. The move comes after nearly two years of negotiations with gaming giants, including divisions of Activision, Warner Bros. and Walt Disney Co., over a new interactive media agreement.
SAG-AFTRA negotiators say gains have been made over wages and job safety in the video game contract, but that the studios will not make a deal over the regulation of generative AI. Without guardrails, game companies could train AI to replicate an actor’s voice, or create a digital replica of their likeness without consent or fair compensation, the union said.
Fran Drescher, the union’s president, said in a prepared statement that members would not approve a contract that would allow companies to “abuse AI.”
“Enough is enough. When these companies get serious about offering an agreement our members can live — and work — with, we will be here, ready to negotiate,” Drescher said.
A representative for the studios did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
The global video game industry generates well over $100 billion dollars in profit annually, according to game market forecaster Newzoo. The people who design and bring those games to life are the driving force behind that success, SAG-AFTRA said.
“Eighteen months of negotiations have shown us that our employers are not interested in fair, reasonable AI protections, but rather flagrant exploitation,” said Interactive Media Agreement Negotiating Committee Chair Sarah Elmaleh.
Last month, union negotiators told The Associated Press that the game studios refused to “provide an equal level of protection from the dangers of AI for all our members” — specifically, movement performers.
Members voted overwhelmingly last year to give leadership the authority to strike. Concerns about how movie studios will use AI helped fuel last year’s film and television strikes by the union, which lasted four months.
The last interactive contract, which expired November 2022, did not provide protections around AI but secured a bonus compensation structure for voice actors and performance capture artists after an 11-month strike that began October 2016. That work stoppage marked the first major labor action from SAG-AFTRA following the merger of Hollywood’s two largest actors unions in 2012.
The video game agreement covers more than 2,500 “off-camera (voiceover) performers, on-camera (motion capture, stunt) performers, stunt coordinators, singers, dancers, puppeteers, and background performers,” according to the union.
Amid the tense interactive negotiations, SAG-AFTRA created a separate contract in February that covered indie and lower-budget video game projects. The tiered-budget independent interactive media agreement contains some of the protections on AI that video game industry titans have rejected.
veryGood! (1236)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- More severe weather forecast in Midwest as Iowa residents clean up tornado damage
- Ohio's GOP governor calls special session to pass legislation ensuring Biden is on 2024 ballot
- The Best Memorial Day Bedding & Bath Deals of 2024: Shop Parachute, Brooklinen, Cozy Earth & More
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Coast Guard suspends search for two French sailors after cargo schooner sinks
- UCLA police arrest young man for alleged felony assault in attack on pro-Palestinian encampment
- Sydney judge says US ex-fighter pilot accused of training Chinese aviators can be extradited to US
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Defense secretary tells US Naval Academy graduates they will lead ‘through tension and uncertainty’
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Mike Love calls Beach Boys reunion with Brian Wilson in documentary 'sweet' and 'special'
- New Nintendo Paper Mario remake features transgender character
- Mississippi man accused of destroying statue of pagan idol at Iowa state Capitol takes plea deal
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- New lawsuit accuses Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs of sexually abusing college student in the 1990s
- Prosecutor tells jury that self-exiled wealthy Chinese businessman cheated thousands of $1 billion
- Karen Read Murder Trial: Why Boston Woman Says She Was Framed for Hitting Boyfriend With Car
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Sean 'Diddy' Combs sued for battery, rape in new lawsuit over alleged '90s incidents
You'll Be Stuck On New Parents Sofia Richie and Elliot Grainge's Love Story
NCAA, leagues sign off on nearly $3 billion plan to set stage for dramatic change across college sports
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
The Daily Money: Can I afford to insure my home?
Ketel Marte hitting streak: Diamondbacks star's batting average drops during 21-game hitting streak
Gov. Ron DeSantis bravely saves Floridians from exposure to nonpatriotic bridges