Current:Home > reviewsJudge blocks Arkansas law requiring parental OK for minors to create social media accounts -Blueprint Money Mastery
Judge blocks Arkansas law requiring parental OK for minors to create social media accounts
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:52:11
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked Arkansas from enforcing a new law that would have required parental consent for minors to create new social media accounts, preventing the state from becoming the first to impose such a restriction.
U.S. District Judge Timothy L. Brooks granted a preliminary injunction that NetChoice — a tech industry trade group whose members include TikTok, Facebook parent Meta, and X, formerly known as Twitter — had requested against the law. The measure, which Republican Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law in April, was set to take effect Friday.
Arkansas’ law is similar to a first-in-the-nation restriction signed into law earlier this year in Utah. That law is not set to take effect until March 2024. NetChoice last year filed a lawsuit challenging a California law requiring tech companies to put kids’ safety first by barring them from profiling children or using personal information in ways that could harm children physically or mentally.
In a 50-page ruling, Brooks said NetChoice was likely to succeed in its challenge to the Arkansas law’s constitutionality and questioned the effectiveness of the restrictions.
“Age-gating social media platforms for adults and minors does not appear to be an effective approach when, in reality, it is the content on particular platforms that is driving the state’s true concerns,” wrote Brooks, who was appointed to the bench by former President Barack Obama.
Similar laws placing restrictions on minors’ use of social media have been enacted in Texas and Louisiana, which also aren’t scheduled to take effect until next year. Top Republicans in Georgia have said they’ll push for a parental consent measure in the Legislature next year, and some members of Congress have proposed similar legislation.
NetChoice argued the requirement violated the constitutional rights of users and arbitrarily singled out types of speech that would be restricted.
“We’re pleased the court sided with the First Amendment and stopped Arkansas’ unconstitutional law from censoring free speech online and undermining the privacy of Arkansans, their families and their businesses as our case proceeds,” Chris Marchese, director of the NetChoice Litigation Center, said in a statement. “We look forward to seeing the law struck down permanently.”
Arkansas’ restrictions would have only applied to social media platforms that generate more than $100 million in annual revenue. It also wouldn’t have applied to certain platforms, including LinkedIn, Google and YouTube.
Social media companies have faced increasing scrutiny over their platforms’ effect on teen mental health, one of the concerns Sanders cited as she pushed for the legislation.
U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy has warned that there is not enough evidence to show that social media is safe for children and teens and called on tech companies to take “immediate action to protect kids now.” Meta announced in June it was adding some new parental supervision tools and privacy features to its platforms.
Social media companies that knowingly violate the age verification requirement would have faced a $2,500 fine for each violation under the now-blocked law. The law also prohibited social media companies and third-party vendors from retaining users’ identifying information after they’ve been granted access to the social media site.
veryGood! (82742)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- 5 Things podcast: Americans are obsessed with true crime. Is that a good thing?
- EU Commissioner urges Montenegro to push ahead with EU integration after new government confirmed
- Massachusetts governor says state is working with feds to help migrants in shelters find work
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Video shows breaching whale body-slam a 55-year-old surfer and drag him 30 feet underwater
- Judge temporarily blocks federal officials from removing razor wire set up by Texas to deter border crossings
- Australia says it won’t bid for the 2034 World Cup, Saudi Arabia likely to host
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Scream time: Has your kid been frightened by a horror movie trailer?
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Biden and Jill Biden hand out books and candy while hosting thousands for rainy trick or treating
- An Israeli ministry, in a ‘concept paper,’ proposes transferring Gaza civilians to Egypt’s Sinai
- Woman poisons boyfriend to death over 'financial motives,' police say
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Fantasy Football Start 'Em, Sit 'Em: Players to start or sit in Week 9
- Ex-Louisville detective Brett Hankison's trial begins in Breonna Taylor case
- Climate scientist Saleemul Huq, who emphasized helping poor nations adapt to warming, dies at 71
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Judge wants to know why men tied to Gov. Whitmer kidnap plot were moved to federal prisons
China’s forces shadow a Philippine navy ship near disputed shoal, sparking new exchange of warnings
12 Things From Goop's $100K+ Holiday Gift Guide We'd Actually Buy
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Mary Lou Retton says she’s ‘overwhelmed’ with love and support as she recovers from rare pneumonia
Zoë Kravitz and Channing Tatum Are Engaged After 2 Years of Dating
Climate scientist Saleemul Huq, who emphasized helping poor nations adapt to warming, dies at 71