Current:Home > NewsDonald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in -Blueprint Money Mastery
Donald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 13:50:28
NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump’s lawyers moved Friday to halt proceedings in his New York hush money criminal case and postpone next month’s sentencing indefinitely while he fights to have a federal court intervene and potentially overturn his felony conviction.
In a letter to the judge presiding over the case in state court, Trump’s lawyers asked that he hold off on a decision, slated for Sept. 16, on Trump’s request to overturn the verdict and dismiss the indictment in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent presidential immunity ruling.
Trump’s lawyers also urged the trial judge, Juan M. Merchan, to postpone Trump’s Sept. 18 sentencing indefinitely while the U.S. District Court in Manhattan weighs their request late Thursday that it seize the case from the state court where it was tried.
Trump’s lawyers said delaying the proceedings is the “only appropriate course” as they seek to have the federal court rectify a verdict they say was tainted by violations of the Republican presidential nominee’s constitutional rights and the Supreme Court’s ruling that gives ex-presidents broad protections from prosecution.
If the case is moved to federal court, Trump’s lawyers said they will then seek to have the verdict overturned and the case dismissed on immunity grounds. They previously asked Merchan to delay Trump’s sentencing until after the November election. He hadn’t ruled on that request as of Friday.
“There is no good reason to sentence President Trump prior to November 5, 2024, if there is to be a sentencing at all, or to drive the post-trial proceedings forward on a needlessly accelerated timeline,” Trump’s lawyers Todd Blanche and Emil Bove wrote.
The letter, dated Thursday, was not added to the docket in Trump’s state court case until Friday.
Merchan did not immediately respond. The Manhattan district attorney’s office, which prosecuted Trump’s case, declined to comment. The office objected to Trump’s previous effort to move the case out of state court last year and has fought his attempt to get the case dismissed on immunity grounds.
Trump was convicted in May of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records to conceal a $130,000 hush money payment to porn actor Stormy Daniels, whose affair allegations threatened to disrupt his 2016 presidential run. Trump has denied her claim and said he did nothing wrong.
Falsifying business records is punishable by up to four years behind bars. Other potential sentences include probation or a fine.
The Supreme Court’s July 1 ruling reins in prosecutions of ex-presidents for official acts and restricts prosecutors in pointing to official acts as evidence that a president’s unofficial actions were illegal.
Trump’s lawyers have argued that prosecutors rushed to trial instead of waiting for the Supreme Court’s presidential immunity decision, and that prosecutors erred by showing jurors evidence that should not have been allowed under the ruling, such as former White House staffers describing how he reacted to news coverage of the hush money deal and tweets he sent while president in 2018.
Trump’s lawyers had previously invoked presidential immunity in a failed bid last year to get the hush money case moved from state court to federal court.
veryGood! (983)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- California Considers ‘Carbon Farming’ As a Potential Climate Solution. Ardent Proponents, and Skeptics, Abound
- Ted Lasso’s Brendan Hunt Is Engaged to Shannon Nelson
- Tracking the impact of U.S.-China tensions on global financial institutions
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Everything We Know About the It Ends With Us Movie So Far
- A magazine touted Michael Schumacher's first interview in years. It was actually AI
- Robert De Niro's Grandson Leandro De Niro Rodriguez Dead at 19
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Inside Clean Energy: For Offshore Wind Energy, Bigger is Much Cheaper
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Proponents Say Storing Captured Carbon Underground Is Safe, But States Are Transferring Long-Term Liability for Such Projects to the Public
- California Water Regulators Still Haven’t Considered the Growing Body of Research on the Risks of Oil Field Wastewater
- Boy Meets World's Original Topanga Actress Alleges She Was Fired for Not Being Pretty Enough
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Biden wants airlines to pay passengers whose flights are hit by preventable delays
- AI-generated deepfakes are moving fast. Policymakers can't keep up
- Inside Clean Energy: Here’s How Compressed Air Can Provide Long-Duration Energy Storage
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Warming Trends: Nature and Health Studies Focused on the Privileged, $1B for Climate School and Old Tires Detour Into Concrete
Gymshark's Huge Summer Sale Is Here: Score 60% Off Cult Fave Workout Essentials
Homeware giant Bed Bath & Beyond has filed for bankruptcy
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
The Oakland A's are on the verge of moving to Las Vegas
McDonald's franchises face more than $200,000 in fines for child-labor law violations
More Mountain Glacier Collapses Feared as Heat Waves Engulf the Northern Hemisphere