Current:Home > FinanceU.S. announces effort to expedite court cases of migrants who cross the border illegally -Blueprint Money Mastery
U.S. announces effort to expedite court cases of migrants who cross the border illegally
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:07:10
The Biden administration on Thursday announced an effort to shorten the time it takes for U.S. immigration judges to decide the asylum cases of certain migrants who enter the country illegally along the border with Mexico.
Migrant adults released by federal border officials after crossing into the U.S. unlawfully will be eligible to be placed in the program, under a joint initiative between the Department of Homeland Security and the Justice Department, which oversees the nation's immigration courts.
The effort's objective, senior U.S. officials said, is to speed up the process of granting asylum to migrants with legitimate cases, and rejecting weak cases. Federal officials under Republican and Democratic administrations have said the current years-long timeframe to decide asylum cases serves as a "pull factor" that attracts migration by economic migrants, who don't qualify for humanitarian protection, but who often use the asylum system to work in the U.S.
Over the past years, the backlog of cases received by the immigration courts has ballooned, leading to wait times that often surpass four years. Fewer than 800 immigration judges are overseeing more than 3.5 million unresolved cases.
Single migrant adults who plan to live in five major U.S. cities — Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York City — could be selected for the new process, which will instruct immigration judges to issue decisions within 180 days, instead of years.
Since the Obama administration, the U.S. has set up several similar programs, colloquially known as "rocket dockets." While officials have portrayed them as ways to discourage illegal immigration, advocates have said the rocket dockets trample on migrants' due process by making it more difficult for them to secure lawyers in time for their hearings.
The scope of Thursday's announcement was not immediately clear, as U.S. officials declined to provide an estimate of the number of migrants who would be placed in the fast-track proceedings. Ten judges have been assigned to the program, one of the officials said during a call with reporters.
The latest rocket docket is the most recent step taken by the Biden administration to curtail unlawful border crossings, which spiked last year to record levels. Last week, the Biden administration published a proposed rule that would allow immigration officials to more quickly reject and deport asylum-seeking migrants who are deemed to endanger public safety or national security.
Last year, the administration implemented a regulation that presumes migrants are ineligible for U.S. asylum if they enter the country illegally after failing to request refuge in another country. It paired that policy with a vast expansion of avenues for some would-be migrants to enter the U.S. legally.
President Biden, who has increasingly embraced more restrictive border policies, has also been considering a more sweeping measure that would further restrict asylum for those entering the U.S. illegally. The move, which would rely on a presidential authority known as 212(f), would almost certainly face legal challenges.
Administration officials have argued they are exploring unilateral immigration actions due to the collapse of a border security agreement that the White House forged with a bipartisan group of senators earlier this year. While the deal would have severely restricted asylum and increased deportations without legalizing unauthorized immigrants, most Republicans, including former President Donald Trump, rejected it outright.
"This administrative step is no substitute for the sweeping and much-needed changes that the bipartisan Senate bill would deliver, but in the absence of congressional action we will do what we can to most effectively enforce the law and discourage irregular migration," Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in a statement Thursday.
The Biden administration has faced unprecedented levels of migration along the southern border, including over two million migrant apprehensions in each of the past two years.
In recent months, however, migrant crossings have plunged, bucking historical patterns that have seen migration soar in the spring. Last month, Border Patrol recorded nearly 129,000 migrant apprehensions, down from 137,000 in March, according to government data. U.S. officials have credited increased deportations and an immigration crackdown by Mexico for the surprising drop.
- In:
- Biden Administration
- Immigration
- Federal Government of the United States
- Politics
- U.S.-Mexico Border
- Migrants
Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the immigration reporter at CBS News. Based in Washington, he covers immigration policy and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (7)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Roy Calne, a surgeon who led Europe’s first liver transplant, has died aged 93
- Nigel Lythgoe departs 'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault allegations
- Glynis Johns, known for her role as Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins, dead at 100
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Michael Bolton reveals he had brain tumor surgery, taking a break from touring
- Sam Kerr suffers torn ACL, jeopardizing Olympic hopes with Australia
- Snow hinders rescues and aid deliveries to isolated communities after Japan quakes kill 126 people
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Louisiana Gov.-elect Jeff Landry to be inaugurated Sunday, returning state’s highest office to GOP
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- South Korea says the North has again fired artillery shells near their sea border
- LSU set to make new DC Blake Baker the highest-paid assistant in the country, per reports
- New Year, New Shoes— Save Up to 80% on Kate Spade, UGG, Sam Edelman, Steve Madden & More
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Third batch of Epstein documents unsealed in ongoing release of court filings
- What makes this Michigan-Washington showdown in CFP title game so unique
- Israel signals it has wrapped up major combat in northern Gaza as the war enters its fourth month
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Rafael Nadal withdraws from Australian Open with injury just one tournament into comeback
Russian shelling kills 11 in Donetsk region while Ukraine claims it hit a Crimean air base
Over 100 evacuate Russia’s Belgorod while soldiers celebrate Orthodox Christmas on the front line
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
'There were no aliens': Miami police clarify after teen fight spawns viral conspiracy theory
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Makes Red Carpet Debut a Week After Prison Release
Former Colorado police officer gets 14 months in jail for Elijah McClain's death