Current:Home > ScamsUK worker gets $86,000 after manager allegedly trashed "bald-headed 50-year-old men" -Blueprint Money Mastery
UK worker gets $86,000 after manager allegedly trashed "bald-headed 50-year-old men"
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 13:25:21
A 61-year-old worker in the U.K. has won $86,000 in damages after he said his manager made ageist comments, including that he didn't want a team of "bald-headed 50-year-old men."
The United Kingdom's employment tribunal ruled earlier this month that Mark Jones was unfairly dismissed from his job as a salesperson at the U.K.'s Tango Networks because of his age, and awarded him damages of more than a year's pay.
According to the ruling, Jones started work at Tango Networks UK in 2019, at the age of 59, and worked there for two years. During that time, Jones' manager, Philip Hesketh, repeatedly referred to his desired sales team as "high energy, energetic and youthful," according to the document.
In 2020, the company was hiring for a new sales role and interviewed a candidate whom Jones recommended. Afterwards, Hesketh allegedly asked Jones about the candidate's age, according to the ruling. When told the candidate was 57, Hesketh allegedly replied "Yes, he did look old," and said that "he wanted someone younger for the role" and "who was ideally female," according to the ruling.
Hesketh also allegedly said "I don't want a team of bald-headed 50-year-old men — I want to change the dynamics," according to the ruling.
The court document found that Tango Networks ultimately extended job offers to two candidates who were the youngest of the finalists interviewed, and Hesketh made clear his intention to replace Jones with one of the new hires. Jones found out about that plan via a publicly available calendar invite set for December 18, which read, in part: "I'd like to make an offer to each on the provision we move Mark on very early in Jan 2021."
Performance improvement plan
After going on holiday and being out with illness, Jones returned to work in mid-January. A few weeks later he was formally put on a performance improvement plan. Jones filed a complaint with his employer and resigned March 2, claiming he was forced out because of his age.
Jones' employer said he was underperforming, but the company "failed to produce any compelling evidence to objectively justify that," according to the tribunal, which noted there was "no objective information against which he is compared."
The court did not corroborate Jones' allegations that his boss made remarks about baldness, but it found that statements his both made about wanting a "youthful" and "energetic" team "chipped away at the relationship" between employer and employee.
The court ordered a payment of 71,441.36 pounds to Jones — about $86,000 — to cover unfair dismissal, dismissal in breach of contract and "injury to feelings," as well as an added topper to cover the taxes due on the award.
A spokesperson with Tango Networks said that Hasketh, Jones' manager, no longer works at the company.
It's not the first time baldness has made an appearance in an employment dispute. Last year, a U.K. tribunal ruled that a man whose supervisor called him a "bald c—" was a victim of sexual harassment. In that case, the panel of three male judges concluded that baldness — being much more common in men than women — is "inherently related to sex."
- In:
- Employment
veryGood! (354)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Looking for stock picks in 2024? These three tech stocks could bring the best returns.
- Ohio prosecutor says he’s duty bound to bring miscarriage case to a grand jury
- One Tree Hill's Paul Johansson Reflects on Struggle With Depression While Portraying Dan Scott
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Derwin's disco: Chargers star gets groovy at dance party for older adults
- Hiker rescued from bottom of avalanche after 1,200-foot fall in Olympic National Forest
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Message on Postpartum Healing After Welcoming Son Rocky With Travis Barker
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Would 'Ferrari' stars Adam Driver and Penélope Cruz want a Ferrari? You'd be surprised.
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Former City of Jackson employee gets probation for wire fraud scheme
- Look Back on the Most Dramatic Celeb Transformations of 2023
- ICHCOIN Trading Center: Cryptocurrency value stabilizer
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- George Clooney reveals Friends didn't bring Matthew Perry joy: He wasn't happy
- Chemical leaks at cheese factory send dozens of people to the hospital
- Rite Aid used AI facial recognition tech. Customers said it led to racial profiling.
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Slow-moving Pacific storm threatens California with flooding and mudslides
A Frederick Douglass mural in his hometown in Maryland draws some divisions
White supremacist sentenced for threatening jury and witnesses at synagogue shooter’s trial
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Federal agency wants to fine Wisconsin sawmill $1.4 million for violations found after teen’s death
Challengers attack Georgia’s redrawn congressional and legislative districts in court hearing
Homeless numbers in Los Angeles could surge again, even as thousands move to temporary shelter