Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-Teen left with burns after portable phone charger combusts, catches bed on fire in Massachusetts -Blueprint Money Mastery
Indexbit-Teen left with burns after portable phone charger combusts, catches bed on fire in Massachusetts
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:54:56
A Massachusetts teen was left with small burn injuries after a portable charger exploded,Indexbit resulting in a bed catching fire at her friend's home, according to officials and media reports.
On Saturday, firefighters responded to a home in Topsfield, a town about 23 miles from Boston. When they arrived at the scene, the first responders extinguished the fire and removed the burning bed, according to the Topsfield Fire Department. Additionally, firefighters ventilated the home. The people inside were able to evacuate.
"One of the residents suffered a minor burn and declined transport to the hospital," the fire department said in the statement. "All personnel were clear of the scene within 45 minutes, and the damage to the property and contents is estimated to be $5,000."
Photos posted by the department show the damage to the bed and pillows. The victim who was burned was identified by local news as 16-year-old Audra Cataldo.
Teen got the portable charger from Amazon, report says
Cataldo recounted her "pretty traumatic" experience to WCVB, saying that she was at her friend's house over the weekend when the incident occurred. They were watching a movie when her phone caught fire, and flames covered her arm.
Moments later, her phone exploded, and smoke filled the area, according to the report. The report noted that she was using a magnetic portable charger from Amazon, but the specific brand of the charger was not mentioned.
“If they were asleep in bed, it would have been catastrophic. They wouldn’t have had time to get out," the friend's father, Johannes Booy, told the outlet. USA TODAY reached out to the family for comment.
"I'm very grateful. It could've gone so much worse," Cataldo added.
Officials issue warning about lithium-ion batteries
Topsfield Fire and the State Fire Marshal's Office are investigating the incident. Officials also included a reminder about how to use lithium-ion batteries safely.
"Lithium-ion batteries pack a lot of power into a small device," officials warned. "If lithium-ion batteries are misused, or if they are defective, that power can cause a fire or explosion."
Earlier this year, more than 130,000 portable charges were recalled due to safety concerns, including reports of overheating and fires resulting in burn injuries.
Taylor Ardrey is a news reporter for USA TODAY. You can reach her at [email protected].
veryGood! (93528)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- CFL suspends former NFL QB Chad Kelly 9 games for violating gender-based violence policy
- NFL schedule release 2024: Here are the best team schedule release videos in recent memory
- Kieran Culkin's Handsy PDA With Wife Jazz Charton at 2024 Met Gala Is Ludicrously Delightful
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Activist says US congressman knocked cellphone from her hand as she asked about Israel-Hamas war
- Drake and Kendrick Lamar’s feud — the biggest beef in recent rap history — explained
- Alabama Senate committee delays vote on ethics legislation
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Kieran Culkin's Handsy PDA With Wife Jazz Charton at 2024 Met Gala Is Ludicrously Delightful
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Kelsea Ballerini’s Post-Met Gala Ritual Is So Relatable
- Storms batter Midwest one day after tornado leaves at least 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Biden heads to Wisconsin to laud a new Microsoft facility, meet voters — and troll Trump
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Disney receives key approval to expand Southern California theme parks
- Former Las Vegas casino executive to be sentenced in bookmaking money laundering case
- WNBA to begin charter travel for all teams this season
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
British AI startup raises more than $1 billion for its self-driving car technology
Colorado Avalanche rally for overtime win over Dallas Stars in NHL playoff Game 1
You’ll Love Jessica Biel’s Behind-the-Scenes Glimpse at Met Gala 2024 Look
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Chicago Tribune, other major newspapers accuse artificial intelligence companies of stealing content
Panera to stop serving ‘Charged Sips’ drinks after wrongful death lawsuits over caffeine content
Bucks' Patrick Beverley: 'I was absolutely wrong' for throwing basketball at Pacers fans