Current:Home > InvestJohnson & Johnson sued by cancer victims alleging 'fraudulent' transfers, bankruptcies -Blueprint Money Mastery
Johnson & Johnson sued by cancer victims alleging 'fraudulent' transfers, bankruptcies
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 16:32:54
- Cancer victims sued Johnson & Johnson claiming the healthcare company executed a scheme to prevent victims from receiving their day in court.
- The suit stems from Johnson & Johnson's filing for bankruptcy multiple times to resolve tens of thousands of lawsuits.
- Johnson & Johnson says the suit is frivolous and that it has offered one of the largest resolutions in the history of mass tort litigation.
Cancer victims sued Johnson & Johnson claiming the healthcare company "executed a scheme through a series of corporate transactions" to prevent victims of its "asbestos-contaminated" talcum powder from receiving their day in court and proper compensation.
The five individuals who filed the proposed class action suit Wednesday in New Jersey federal court seek to represent anyone who, as of Aug. 11, 2023, either had pending litigation alleging asbestos or other ingredients in Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products caused them to develop ovarian cancer or mesothelioma.
The suit stems from Johnson & Johnson's filing for bankruptcy multiple times, and in different states, to resolve tens of thousands of lawsuits claiming the company's talcum baby powder caused cancer. Earlier this month, Johnson & Johnson announced that a third bankruptcy filing of a subsidiary company would allow it to move forward with a $6.475 billion proposed settlement for the victims, Reuters reported.
A three-month voting period is underway to reach a consensus settlement for current and future victims who claim the baby powder caused ovarian cancer, which accounts for 99% of talcum-related suits against Johnson & Johnson, according to Reuters. People with talcum-related claims are the ones voting in support or against the settlement, the outlet said.
“This latest filing – signed again by the same small group of plaintiffs lawyers who have fought every single effort to resolve this litigation to date – is more of the same," Erik Haas, worldwide vice president of litigation for Johnson & Johnson, told USA TODAY in a statement. "The question remains: Why won’t they let claimants decide for themselves what is or is not in their own best interest? Why are they so desperate to stop the vote?
The complaint calls Johnson & Johnson's third bankruptcy filing an "unfulfilled scheme."
Lawsuit:Dollar Tree sued by Houston woman who was sexually assaulted in a store
How did Johnson & Johnson execute the alleged scheme?
The suit says Johnson & Johnson used a "Texas two-step" maneuver to commit fraud and stop victims' lawsuits. The tactic involved the company putting its talcum liabilities and other valuable assets into a new subsidiary only to file for bankruptcy two days later in 2021, according to the complaint.
The bankruptcy stopped suits from moving ahead against Johnson and Johnson, although the company did not file for bankruptcy itself, Reuters reported. Courts did ultimately rule that Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary were not struggling financially, therefore they were not eligible for bankruptcy, according to the outlet.
Two other tactics allegedly used by Johnson & Johnson are called "asset stripping fraud” and "bait-and-switch fraud," the suit says. Both methods involved the company dumping or cutting funds and assets, the complaint continued.
All three "connected fraudulent transfers" aimed to achieve the same goal of "hindering and delaying tort victims from recovery against (Johnson & Johnson) and its operating subsidiaries," the complaint says.
'Make no mistake, the facts are clear'
Regardless of the recent suit's allegations, Johnson & Johnson's focus remains to settle the suits brought against its company.
"Make no mistake, the facts are clear," Haas said in his statement to USA TODAY. "The Company has offered one of the largest resolutions in the history of mass tort litigation. It has prevailed in 16 of 17 ovarian cancer trials, including every ovarian trial for the past six years."
The company has reached separate settlements with law firms repping mesothelioma patients and with U.S. states who accused the company of failing to warn consumers about how dangerous its talcum products could be, Reuters reported. In a recent trial, a judge ordered Johnson and Johnson to pay $45 million in a mesothelioma case while winning an ovarian cancer case, according to the outlet.
"Our focus has been and will remain reaching a full, fair and final resolution of this litigation, and allowing the claimants to speak for themselves," Haas said. "We will immediately move to dismiss this latest ‘hail Mary’ frivolous filing.”
veryGood! (81126)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Caroline Ellison says FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried corrupted her values so she could lie and steal
- Why It is absolutely not too late for Florida's coral reefs
- Donald Trump will speak in Florida next to Matt Gaetz, who set House speaker’s ouster in motion
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Revisiting Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith's Relationship Highs and Lows Amid Separation
- NASA shows off its first asteroid samples delivered by a spacecraft
- El Salvador sends 4,000 security forces into 3 communities to pursue gang members
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Nearly 5,000 autoworkers have been laid off since UAW strike began
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- King Charles III to travel to Kenya for state visit full of symbolism
- American volunteers at Israeli hospital as civilians mobilize to help: Everyone doing whatever they can
- Mexican official says military obstructs probe into human rights abuses during country’s ‘dirty war’
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Billy Ray Cyrus Marries Firerose in Beautiful, Joyous Ceremony
- Gaza is tiny and watched closely by Israel. But rescuing hostages there would be a daunting task
- Woman faces charges after 58-year-old man dies in her care at Michigan nursing home
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
104-year-old woman dies days after jumping from plane to break record for oldest skydiver
A train has derailed in India killing at least 1 passenger and injuring 30 others
A Georgia deputy shot and killed a man he was chasing after police say the man pulled out a gun
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Tom Brady Reveals How His Kids Would React If He Unretired Again
Donald Trump will speak in Florida next to Matt Gaetz, who set House speaker’s ouster in motion
A company cancels its plans to recover more Titanic artifacts. Its renowned expert died on the Titan