Current:Home > ScamsJudge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges -Blueprint Money Mastery
Judge in Trump classified documents case to hear more arguments on dismissing charges
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:58:31
FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) — Prosecutors and defense lawyers in the classified documents case against former President Donald Trump are due in court Wednesday for the first time since the judge indefinitely postponed the trial earlier this month.
The case, one of four criminal prosecutions against Trump, had been set for trial on May 20 but U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon cited numerous issues she has yet to resolve as a basis for canceling the trial date.
On Wednesday, Cannon was scheduled to hear arguments on a Trump request to dismiss the indictment on grounds that it fails to clearly articulate a crime and instead amounts to “a personal and political attack against President Trump” with a “litany of uncharged grievances both for public and media consumption.”
Prosecutors on special counsel Jack Smith’s team, which brought the case, will argue against that request. Trump is not expected to be present for the hearing.
The motion is one of several that Trump’s lawyers have filed to dismiss the case, some of which have already been denied.
Also scheduled for Wednesday are arguments by a Trump co-defendant, his valet Walt Nauta, to dismiss charges.
The arguments come one day after a newly unsealed motion reveals that defense lawyers are seeking to exclude evidence from the boxes of records that FBI agents seized during a search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate nearly two years ago.
The defense lawyers asserted in the motion that the August 2022 search was unconstitutional and “illegal” and the FBI affidavit filed in justification of it was tainted by misrepresentations.
Smith’s team rejected each of those accusations and defended the investigative approach as “measured” and “graduated.” They said the search warrant was obtained after investigators collected surveillance video showing what they said was a concerted effort to conceal the boxes of classified documents inside the property.
“The warrant was supported by a detailed affidavit that established probable cause and did not omit any material information. And the warrant provided ample guidance to the FBI agents who conducted the search. Trump identifies no plausible basis to suppress the fruits of that search,” prosecutors wrote.
The defense motion was filed in February but was made public on Tuesday, along with hundreds of pages of documents from the investigation that were filed to the case docket in Florida.
Those include a previously sealed opinion last year from the then-chief judge of the federal court in Washington, which said that Trump’s lawyers, months after the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago, had turned over four additional documents with classification markings that were found in Trump’s bedroom.
That March 2023 opinion from U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell directed a former lead lawyer for Trump in the case to abide by a grand jury subpoena and to turn over materials to investigators, rejecting defense arguments that their cooperation was prohibited by attorney-client privilege and concluding that prosecutors had made a “prima facie” showing that Trump had committed a crime.
Trump has pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.
___
Tucker reported from Washington.
veryGood! (86193)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Allies of imprisoned Kremlin foe Navalny sound the alarm, say they haven’t heard from him in 6 days
- Ram, Infiniti, Ford among 188,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Fantasy football winners, losers: Chase Brown making case for more touches
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 14: Cowboys' NFC shake-up caps wild weekend
- SmileDirectClub shuts down months after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- In latest crackdown on violence, Greece bans fans at all top-flight matches for two months
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 2 Broke Girls' Kat Dennings Marries Andrew W.K. After Almost 3 Years of Dating
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Hunter Biden pushes for dismissal of gun case, saying law violates the Second Amendment
- Arizona, Kansas, Purdue lead AP Top 25 poll; Oklahoma, Clemson make big jumps; Northwestern debuts
- Iraq scrambles to contain fighting between US troops and Iran-backed groups, fearing Gaza spillover
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- US rapper Kendrick Lamar dazzles as he shares South Africa stage with local artists
- Vanessa Hudgens Had a High School Musical Reunion at Her Wedding
- Several seriously injured when construction site elevator crashes to the ground in Sweden
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Voter turnout plunges below 30% in Hong Kong election after rules shut out pro-democracy candidates
Rohingya Muslims in Indonesia struggle to find shelter. President says government will help for now
Bronze top hat missing from Abraham Lincoln statue in Kentucky
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Jennifer Aniston Reveals She Was Texting Matthew Perry Hours Before His Death
New Hampshire man arrested for allegedly threatening to kill Vivek Ramaswamy
Life in Russian-controlled areas of Ukraine is grim. People are fleeing through a dangerous corridor