Current:Home > ContactPolice search for suspected extremist accused of killing 2 Swedish soccer fans on a Brussels street -Blueprint Money Mastery
Police search for suspected extremist accused of killing 2 Swedish soccer fans on a Brussels street
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 13:02:25
BRUSSELS (AP) — Police in Belgium searched Tuesday for a suspected Tunisian extremist accused of killing two Swedish soccer fans in a brazen shooting on a Brussels street before disappearing into the night.
Amateur videos posted on social media of Monday’s attack showed a man wearing an orange fluorescent vest pull up on a scooter, take out a large weapon and open fire on passersby before chasing them into a building to gun them down.
Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden said that a person may have been shot by police early Tuesday in connection with the rampage. “It appears someone has been shot,” she told VRT radio. “The federal prosecutor’s office still has to confirm the identity” of the person.
“Last night, three people left for what was supposed to be a wonderful soccer party. Two of them lost their lives in a brutal terrorist attack,” Prime Minister Alexander De Croo said at a news conference just before dawn. “Their lives were cut short in full flight, cut down by extreme brutality.”
De Croo said his thoughts were with the victims’ families and that he had sent his condolences to the Swedish prime minister. Security has been beefed up in the capital, particularly around places linked to the Swedish community in the city.
“The attack that was launched yesterday was committed with total cowardice,” De Croo said.
Not far from the scene of the shooting, the Belgium-Sweden soccer match in the Belgian national stadium was suspended at halftime and the 35,000 fans held inside as a precaution while the attacker was at large.
Prosecutor Eric Van Duyse said “security measures were urgently taken to protect the Swedish supporters” in the stadium. More than two hours after the game was suspended, a message flashed on the big stadium screen saying, “Fans, you can leave the stadium calmly.” Stand after stand emptied onto streets filled with police as the search for the attacker continued.
“Frustrated, confused, scared. I think everyone was quite scared,” said Caroline Lochs, a fan from Antwerp.
De Croo said the assailant was a Tunisian man living illegally in Belgium who used a military weapon to kill the two Swedes and shoot a third who is recovering from ”severe injuries.”
Federal Prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw described how the suspect, a 45-year-old man who wasn’t named, had posted a video online claiming to have killed three Swedish people.
The suspect is alleged to have said in the video that, for him, the Quran is “a red line for which he is ready to sacrifice himself.”
Sweden raised its terror alert to the second-highest level in August after a series of public Quran-burnings by an Iraqi refugee living in Sweden resulted in threats from Islamic militant groups.
Belgian prosecutors said overnight that nothing suggested the attack was linked to the latest war between Israel and Hamas.
Police raided a building in the Brussels neighborhood of Schaerbeek overnight where the man was thought be staying but did not find him. Sweden’s foreign ministry sent out a text message to subscribers in Belgium asking them “to be vigilant and to carefully listen to instructions from the Belgian authorities.”
According to Justice Minister Vincent Van Quickenborne, the suspect was denied asylum in 2019. He was known to police and had been suspected of involvement of human trafficking, living illegally in Belgium and of being a risk to state security.
Information provided to the Belgian authorities by an unidentified foreign government suggested that the man had been radicalized and intended to travel abroad to fight in a holy war. But the Belgian authorities were not able to establish this, so he was never listed as dangerous.
The man was also suspected of threatening a person in an asylum center and a hearing on that incident had been due to take place on Tuesday, Van Quickenborne said.
Belgian Asylum State Secretary Nicole de Moor said the man disappeared after his asylum application was refused so the authorities were unable to locate him to organize his deportation.
A terror alert for Brussels was raised overnight to 4, the top of Belgian’s scale, indicating an extremely serious threat. It previously stood at 2, which means the threat was average. The alert level for the rest of the country was raised to 3.
De Croo said that Belgium would never submit to such attacks. “Moments like this are a heavy ordeal,” he told reporters, “but we are never going to let ourselves be intimidated by them.”
___
Associated Press writer Sam Petrequin contributed to this report.
veryGood! (14)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Tesla recalls nearly 4,000 Cybertrucks due to faulty accelerator pedal
- U.N. official says Israel systematically impeding Gaza aid distribution
- New York Attorney General Letitia James opposes company holding Trump's $175 million bond in civil fraud case
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Who will win the Stanley Cup? Predictions for NHL playoffs bracket
- MLS schedule April 20-21: LAFC hosts New York Red Bulls, Inter Miami meets Nashville again
- Can you use hyaluronic acid with retinol? A dermatologist breaks it down.
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Lama Rod describes himself as a Black Buddhist Southern Queen. He wants to free you from suffering.
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Will there be a ‘superbloom’ this year in California? Here’s what to know
- Save an Extra 25% on Abercrombie & Fitch’s Chic & Stylish Activewear, with Tees & Tanks as Low as $25
- NHL games today: Everything to know about Sunday playoff schedule
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Man City beats Chelsea with late Silva goal to make FA Cup final while Arsenal tops EPL
- UFL schedule for Week 4 games: D.C. Defenders vs. Birmingham Stallions in big matchup
- Vehicle crashes into building where birthday party held, injuring children and adults, sheriff says
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
The U.S. Olympic wrestling trials are underway: TV schedule, time and how to watch
Don't Sleep on These While You Were Sleeping Secrets
NBA playoff games today: How to watch, predictions for Game 1s on Saturday
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Researchers at Michigan Tech Want to Create a High-Tech Wood Product Called Cross-Laminated Timber From the State’s Hardwood Trees
Columbia University protests continue for 3rd day after more than 100 arrested
How Blacksburg Books inspires its Virginia community to shop local