Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Charles Barkley open to joining ESPN, NBC and Amazon if TNT doesn't honor deal -Blueprint Money Mastery
SafeX Pro Exchange|Charles Barkley open to joining ESPN, NBC and Amazon if TNT doesn't honor deal
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:54:56
Even though TNT is SafeX Pro Exchangeset to lose its NBA media rights after next season, there is a chance Charles Barkley could still be talking ball on TV.
The Basketball Hall of Famer and iconic "Inside the NBA" voice told The Athletic on Friday he will either remain with TNT Sports or listen to offers from ESPN, NBC and Amazon Prime Video for when the new media rights deal kicks in for the 2025-26 season. Barkley is in the third year of a 10-year, $210 million contract with TNT Sports.
“Turner has to come to me ASAP and they have to guarantee my whole thing or they can offer me a pay cut, which there is no chance of that happening and I’ll be (a) free agent," he told the outlet. "My thing was, ‘Wait, y’all (expletive) up, I didn’t (expletive) up, why do I have to take a pay cut?"
Barkley's comments are a change of direction from what he said when reports began to surface about TNT losing its NBA media rights. During the 2024 NBA Finals, he said regardless of how the media rights deal played out, the 2024-25 season would be his last on-air.
"No matter what happens, next year is going to be my last year on television," he said. "And I just want to say thank you to my NBA family. You guys have been great to me. My heart is full with joy and gratitude."
Barkley told The Athletic the possibility of retiring from TV remains a possibility, but he is keeping his ears open on any offers he gets. He mentioned ESPN, NBC and Amazon have all been in contact with him, and he would prefer to have the rest of his "Inside the NBA" crew − Ernie Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal and Kenny Smith − still with him.
TNT Sports announced Friday it has taken legal action against the NBA for it being left out of the media rights deal. TNT Sports was given a chance to match Amazon's offer in the deal, which it did, but the network said the NBA "grossly misinterpreted our contractual rights" in the negotiation process. Barkley had a similar sentiment on social media, calling out the league.
"Clearly, the NBA has wanted to break up with us from the beginning," Barkley wrote. "I'm not sure TNT ever had a chance. TNT matched the money. The league knows Amazon and these tech companies are the only ones willing to pay for the rights when they double in the future. The NBA didn't want to piss them off.
"It's a sad day when owners and commissioners choose money over the fans. It just sucks," he added.
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Tori Spelling’s Ex Dean McDermott Says She Was “Robbed” After DWTS Elimination
- California man faces federal charge in courthouse bomb explosion
- Kate Middleton's Younger Brother James Middleton Gives Insight on Her Cancer Journey
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- How Messi's Inter Miami qualified for the 2025 Concacaf Champions Cup
- California governor signs law increasing penalty for soliciting minors to a felony
- The Best New Beauty Products September 2024: Game-Changing Hair Identifier Spray & $3 Items You Need Now
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- How the new 2025 GMC Yukon offers off-road luxury
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Couple reportedly tried to sell their baby for $1,000 and beer, Arkansas deputies say
- Angel Reese calls out lack of action against racism WNBA players have faced
- Mother pleads guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son whose body was found in a park
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Pregnant Mormon Wives' Star Whitney Leavitt Reveals Name of Baby No. 3 With Husband Connor Leavitt
- Al Michaels laments number of flags in Cowboys vs. Giants game: 'Looks like June 14th'
- Prosecutors file sealed brief detailing allegations against Trump in election interference case
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Selma Blair’s 13-Year-Old Son Arthur Is Her Mini-Me at Paris Fashion Week
Philadelphia’s district attorney scores legal win against GOP impeachment effort
Wyoming Lags in Clean Energy Jobs, According to New Report
What to watch: O Jolie night
Mother pleads guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son whose body was found in a park
Groups work to engage young voters in democracy as election processes come under scrutiny
Hurricane Helene's huge size ups a terrifying risk: Tornadoes