Current:Home > NewsCharles Barkley open to joining ESPN, NBC and Amazon if TNT doesn't honor deal -Blueprint Money Mastery
Charles Barkley open to joining ESPN, NBC and Amazon if TNT doesn't honor deal
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 14:49:32
Even though TNT is set to lose its NBA media rights after next season, there is a chance Charles Barkley could still be talking ball on TV.
The Basketball Hall of Famer and iconic "Inside the NBA" voice told The Athletic on Friday he will either remain with TNT Sports or listen to offers from ESPN, NBC and Amazon Prime Video for when the new media rights deal kicks in for the 2025-26 season. Barkley is in the third year of a 10-year, $210 million contract with TNT Sports.
“Turner has to come to me ASAP and they have to guarantee my whole thing or they can offer me a pay cut, which there is no chance of that happening and I’ll be (a) free agent," he told the outlet. "My thing was, ‘Wait, y’all (expletive) up, I didn’t (expletive) up, why do I have to take a pay cut?"
Barkley's comments are a change of direction from what he said when reports began to surface about TNT losing its NBA media rights. During the 2024 NBA Finals, he said regardless of how the media rights deal played out, the 2024-25 season would be his last on-air.
"No matter what happens, next year is going to be my last year on television," he said. "And I just want to say thank you to my NBA family. You guys have been great to me. My heart is full with joy and gratitude."
Barkley told The Athletic the possibility of retiring from TV remains a possibility, but he is keeping his ears open on any offers he gets. He mentioned ESPN, NBC and Amazon have all been in contact with him, and he would prefer to have the rest of his "Inside the NBA" crew − Ernie Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal and Kenny Smith − still with him.
TNT Sports announced Friday it has taken legal action against the NBA for it being left out of the media rights deal. TNT Sports was given a chance to match Amazon's offer in the deal, which it did, but the network said the NBA "grossly misinterpreted our contractual rights" in the negotiation process. Barkley had a similar sentiment on social media, calling out the league.
"Clearly, the NBA has wanted to break up with us from the beginning," Barkley wrote. "I'm not sure TNT ever had a chance. TNT matched the money. The league knows Amazon and these tech companies are the only ones willing to pay for the rights when they double in the future. The NBA didn't want to piss them off.
"It's a sad day when owners and commissioners choose money over the fans. It just sucks," he added.
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Secret Service’s next challenge: Keeping scores of world leaders safe at the UN General Assembly
- Elle King says she didn't want 'to hurt' dad Rob Schneider after speaking 'her truth'
- 'Marvel at it now:' A’ja Wilson’s greatness on display as Aces pursue WNBA three-peat
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- AP Explains: Migration is more complex than politics show
- Michigan deputy jumps into action to save 63-year-old man in medical emergency: Video
- Jessie Bates ready to trash talk Travis Kelce Sunday night using Taylor Swift
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- A funeral mass is held for a teen boy killed in a Georgia high school shooting
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Footage shows NYPD officers firing at man with knife in subway shooting that wounded 4
- Brett Favre to appear before US House panel looking at welfare misspending
- Martha Stewart says 'unfriendly' Ina Garten stopped talking to her when she went to prison
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- 8 California firefighters injured in freeway rollover after battling Airport Fire
- Jessie Bates ready to trash talk Travis Kelce Sunday night using Taylor Swift
- Feds extradite man for plot to steal $8 million in FEMA disaster assistance
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to protect dolphins along the Mississippi Gulf Coast
11-year-old charged after police say suspicious device brought on school bus in Maine
AP Explains: Migration is more complex than politics show
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
It was unique debut season for 212 MLB players during pandemic-altered 2020
Federal authorities subpoena NYC mayor’s director of asylum seeker operations
90 Day Fiancé’s Big Ed Brown Details PDA-Filled Engagement to Dream Girl Porscha Raemond