Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|Fortnite maker Epic Games will pay $520 million to settle privacy and deception cases -Blueprint Money Mastery
Benjamin Ashford|Fortnite maker Epic Games will pay $520 million to settle privacy and deception cases
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:48:17
The Benjamin Ashfordmaker of the popular Fortnite video game will pay $520 million in penalties and refunds to settle complaints revolving around children's privacy and its payment methods that tricked players into making unintended purchases, U.S. federal regulators said Monday.
The Federal Trade Commission reached the settlements to resolve two cases against Epic Games Inc., which has parlayed Fortnite's success in the past five years to become a video game powerhouse.
The $520 million covered in the settlement consists of $245 million in customer refunds and a $275 million fine for collecting personal information on Fortnite players under the age of 13 without informing their parents or getting their consent. It's the biggest penalty ever imposed for breaking an FTC rule.
"Epic used privacy-invasive default settings and deceptive interfaces that tricked Fortnite users, including teenagers and children," FTC Chair Lina Khan said in a statement.
Even before the settlement was announced, Epic said in a statement it had already rolled out a series of changes "to ensure our ecosystem meets the expectations of our players and regulators, which we hope will be a helpful guide for others in our industry." The Cary, North Carolina, company also asserted that it no longer engages in the practices flagged by the FTC.
The $245 million in customer refunds will go to players who fell victim to so-called "dark patterns" and billing practices. Dark patterns are deceptive online techniques used to nudge users into doing things they didn't intend to do.
In this case, "Fortnite's counterintuitive, inconsistent, and confusing button configuration led players to incur unwanted charges based on the press of a single button," the FTC said.
Players could, for example, be charged while trying to wake the game from sleep mode, while the game was in a loading screen, or by pressing a nearby button when simply trying to preview an item, it said.
"These tactics led to hundreds of millions of dollars in unauthorized charges for consumers," the FTC said.
Epic said it agreed to the FTC settlement because it wants "to be at the forefront of consumer protection and provide the best experience for our players."
"No developer creates a game with the intention of ending up here," Epic said.
During the past two years, Epic also has been locked in a high-profile legal battle with Apple in an attempt to dismantle the barriers protecting the iPhone app store, which has emerged as one of the world's biggest e-commerce hubs during the past 14 years. After Epic introduced a different payment system within its Fortnite app in August 2020, Apple ousted the video from the app store, triggering a lawsuit that went to trial last year.
A federal judge ruled largely in Apple's favor, partly because she embraced the iPhone maker's contention that its exclusive control of the app store helped protect the security and privacy of consumers. The ruling is currently under appeal, with a decision expected at some point next year.
veryGood! (24523)
Related
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- CFP bracket prediction: SEC adds a fifth team to field while a Big Ten unbeaten falls out
- Watch as massive amount of crabs scamper across Australian island: 'It's quite weird'
- Too Hot to Handle’s Francesca Farago Gives Birth, Welcomes Twins With Jesse Sullivan
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- John Robinson, successful football coach at USC and with the LA Rams, has died at 89
- Mississippi rising, Georgia falling in college football NCAA Re-Rank 1-134 after Week 11
- Indiana man is found guilty of murder in the 2017 killings of 2 teenage girls
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, BMW, Porsche among 304k vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Threat closes Spokane City Hall and cancels council meeting in Washington state
- Why Jersey Shore's Jenni JWoww Farley May Not Marry Her Fiancé Zack Clayton
- Tampa Bay Rays' Wander Franco arrested again in Dominican Republic, according to reports
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Gerry Faust, former Notre Dame football coach, dies at 89
- Gerry Faust, former Notre Dame football coach, dies at 89
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson weighs in on report that he would 'pee in a bottle' on set
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Why California takes weeks to count votes, while states like Florida are faster
California Gov. Gavin Newsom will spend part of week in DC as he tries to Trump-proof state policies
School workers accused of giving special needs student with digestive issue hot Takis, other abuse
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Wheel of Fortune Contestant Goes Viral Over His Hilariously Wrong Answer
Sister Wives’ Christine Brown Shares Glimpse Into Honeymoon One Year After Marrying David Woolley
It's cozy gaming season! Video game updates you may have missed, including Stardew Valley