Current:Home > Scams"Mom influencer" Katie Sorensen sentenced to jail for falsely claiming couple tried to kidnap her kids at a crafts store -Blueprint Money Mastery
"Mom influencer" Katie Sorensen sentenced to jail for falsely claiming couple tried to kidnap her kids at a crafts store
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 22:52:31
A social media influencer who went viral for a 2020 Instagram video falsely claiming a couple tried to kidnap her children at a crafts store in Northern California has been sentenced to jail, prosecutors announced Thursday.
Kathleen "Katie" Sorensen, 30, was sentenced to 90 days in jail, 60 of which could be served on a work-release program, the Sonoma County district attorney's office said. Sorensen was convicted in April for knowingly making a false report of a crime.
Prosecutors say that on December 7, 2020, Sorensen called the Petaluma Police Department claiming that a couple tried to kidnap her two young children at a Michaels craft store. A week later, she posted a video about the incident on Instagram, which went viral, and she repeated the claims on a local news program.
A social media influencer and mom from the North Bay who went viral for a 2020 Instagram video falsely claiming a couple tried to kidnap her children has been sentenced to jail, prosecutors said. https://t.co/pSPtmP87MH
— CBS News Bay Area (@KPIXtv) June 29, 2023
"Ms. Sorensen's report was determined to be false and resoundingly contradicted by the accused couple as well as store video that was obtained," prosecutors said.
CBS Bay Area reported that before being charged, Sorensen had enjoyed a modest following on her @motherhoodessentials Instagram account. Her videos on the alleged kidnapping attempt were viewed more than 4 million times and gained her tens of thousands of new followers. The videos have since been deleted.
Sadie Vega-Martinez, who was falsely accused by Sorensen along with her husband Eddie Martinez, told Elle magazine in April she was happy Sorensen had been convicted.
"After [Sorensen] avoided accountability for years, and then hearing she was found guilty and walked out in handcuffs... yes, justice was served," Vega-Martinez told Elle.
Along with jail time, the judge ordered Sorensen to 12 months of probation "during which time she was ordered to have no social media presence, submit to warrantless search and seizure, to include her electronic devices, complete a 4-hour implicit bias training, as well as various fines and fees."
Sorensen was remanded into custody following the hearing to begin serving her sentence, prosecutors said.
"Ms. Sorensen has been held accountable for her crime and we believe the judge handed down a fair sentence," District Attorney Carla Rodriguez said in a statement. "Our hope is that this measure of accountability will help provide some closure to the couple that was falsely accused of having attempted to kidnap two young children."
- In:
- California
- Kidnapping
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Hollywood labor disputes in 'crunch time' amid ongoing strikes, reporter says
- Daylight savings ends in November. Why is it still around?
- Pentagon launches website for declassified UFO information, including videos and photos
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Derek Jeter and Wife Hannah Jeter Reveal How They Keep Their Romance on Base as Parents of 4
- What is professional listening? Why people are paying for someone to hear them out.
- 10 years and 1,000 miles later, Bob the cat is finally on his way back home
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- New Jersey gas tax to increase by about a penny per gallon starting Oct. 1
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- ACC adds Stanford, Cal, SMU as new members beginning in 2024
- Florida fishing village Horseshoe Beach hopes to maintain its charm after being walloped by Idalia
- Are Target, Costco, Walmart open on Labor Day? Store hours for Home Depot, TJ Maxx, more
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Q&A: From Coal to Prisons in Eastern Kentucky, and the Struggle for a ‘Just Transition’
- Miranda Kerr Is Pregnant With Baby No. 4, Her 3rd With Evan Spiegel
- Iowa State starting lineman Jake Remsburg suspended 6 games by the NCAA for gambling
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Boy struck and killed by a car in Florida after a dog chased him into the street
Hear Tom Brady's Historic First Phone Call With the Patriots After Being Selected 199th in 2000 NFL Draft
Workplace safety officials slap Albuquerque, contractor with $1.1M fine for asbestos exposure
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Bob Barker to be honored with hour-long CBS special following The Price is Right legend's death
Miranda Kerr is pregnant! Model shares excitement over being a mom to 4 boys
Where is Buc-ee's expanding next? A look at the popular travel center chain's future plans