Current:Home > reviewsCourt convicts Portuguese hacker in Football Leaks trial and gives him a 4-year suspended sentence -Blueprint Money Mastery
Court convicts Portuguese hacker in Football Leaks trial and gives him a 4-year suspended sentence
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 13:02:38
LISBON, Portugal (AP) — A Portuguese hacker whose bombshell revelations on the “Football Leaks” website rocked European soccer was convicted Monday by a Lisbon court of nine crimes and given a suspended prison sentence of four years.
The three-judge panel found Rui Pinto, now 34 years old, guilty on five counts of unauthorized entry into computer systems, three counts of intercepting correspondence for accessing emails, and one count of attempted extortion, Portuguese media reported.
The court convicted Pinto of hacking computers belonging to the Doyen sports investment fund, the Portuguese attorney general’s office and a Lisbon law firm. It was not proven he had hacked a website belonging to the Portuguese soccer federation, the judges said.
Pinto’s disclosures embarrassed star players, top clubs and influential agents between 2015-18 and helped drive official investigations across Europe.
The website published information about the transfer fees and salaries of such stars as Neymar, then at Barcelona, Radamel Falcao at Monaco and Gareth Bale at Real Madrid. It also alleged that Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain flouted European soccer’s spending rules.
During his trial, Pinto admitted he was behind the information published on the website that was set up in 2015 but argued he is a whistleblower, not a criminal. However, he added: “My work as a whistleblower is finished.”
He said he had acted in the public interest for no personal gain. However, the court found him guilty of extortion in his dealings with Doyen.
His lawyers told the court that Pinto has helped authorities in Europe and beyond to tackle crime in the sport, especially murky financial dealings.
Pinto was cooperating with authorities in France, Belgium, Switzerland and Malta in their soccer investigations, they said.
After his arrest, Pinto spent 18 months in pre-trial detention in Lisbon, including seven months in isolation, before being released after starting to cooperate with Portuguese police and entering a witness protection program.
Pinto told the judges he was ”shocked and disgusted” by what he found in his hacking activities.
When he was extradited from Hungary, from where he hacked computers, to Portugal in 2015 to stand trial, Pinto was poised to enter a witness protection program in France, according to Pinto’s lawyers.
Pinto was granted amnesty for dozens of other crimes as part of a wider government decree giving pardons for lesser offenses that marked the visit to Portugal last month of Pope Francis.
In a second case against Pinto that still has to be tried, Portuguese prosecutors are accusing him of 377 hacking-related crimes.
That case could also take years to reach a verdict under the slow-moving Portuguese legal system.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- 2024 Olympics: USA Gymnastics' Appeal for Jordan Chiles' Medal Rejected
- Fall in Love with Disney X Kate Spade’s Lady and the Tramp Collection: Fetch Deals Starting at Just $29
- Illinois sheriff to retire amid criticism over the killing of Sonya Massey | The Excerpt
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Katie Couric says CBS' decision to replace Norah O'Donnell with 2 men is 'out of touch'
- Life as MT's editor-in-chief certainly had its moments—including one death threat
- Pokémon Voice Actor Rachael Lillis Dead at 46
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- An ex-Kansas police chief who led a raid on a newspaper is charged with obstruction of justice
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Drone video captures aftermath of home explosion that left 2 dead in Bel Air, Maryland
- Want to speed up a road or transit project? Just host a political convention
- The Latest: Harris begins policy rollout; material from Trump campaign leaked to news outlets
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Aaron Rodgers says he regrets making comment about being 'immunized'
- Matt Kuchar bizarrely stops playing on 72nd hole of Wyndham Championship
- Arkansas officer fired after being caught on video beating inmate in back of patrol car
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Nick Jonas Is Shook After Daughter Malti Marie Learns This Phrase
US Rep. Ilhan Omar, a member of the progressive ‘Squad,’ faces repeat primary challenge in Minnesota
Yellowjackets' Samantha Hanratty Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Christian DeAnda
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. can remain on the North Carolina presidential ballot, judge says
Hoda Kotb tearfully reflects on motherhood during 60th birthday bash on 'Today' show
Ohio State leads USA TODAY Sports preseason college football All-America team