Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -Blueprint Money Mastery
Johnathan Walker:Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 20:00:20
Paula Abdul and Johnathan WalkerNigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (191)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Police: Live cluster bomblet, ammunition found with donation at southeastern Wisconsin thrift store
- 'Friends' star Matthew Perry dies at age 54, reports say
- Matthew Perry Reflected on Ups and Downs in His Life One Year Before His Death
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Winner of albinism pageant says Zimbabwe event made her feel beautiful and provided sense of purpose
- Israel is reassessing diplomatic relations with Turkey due to leader’s ‘increasingly harsh’ remarks
- Spooky savings: 23 businesses offering Halloween discounts from DoorDash, Red Lobster, Chipotle, more
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Russia says it shot down 36 Ukrainian drones as fighting grinds on in Ukraine’s east
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Protect Your Car (and Sanity) With This Genius Waterproof Seat Hoodie
- G-7 nations back strong supply chains for energy and food despite global tensions
- 2 dead, 18 injured in Tampa street shooting, police say
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Steelers star safety Minkah Fitzpatrick leaves game against Jags with hamstring injury
- Mexico raises Hurricane Otis death toll to 43 and puts missing at 36 as search continues
- Travis Kelce's latest play: A line of food dishes including BBQ brisket, sold at Walmart
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Relief tinged with sadness as Maine residents resume activities after shooting suspect found dead
Sailor missing at sea for 2 weeks found alive in life raft 70 miles off Washington coast
Man charged in killing of Nat King Cole’s great-nephew
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Justin Trudeau, friends, actors and fans mourn Matthew Perry
Matthew Perry Dead at 54: Olivia Munn, Rumer Willis and More Stars React
Biden supporters in New Hampshire soon to announce write-in effort for primary