Current:Home > ContactSan Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting -Blueprint Money Mastery
San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:12:08
The University of Nevada has made it clear that its Oct. 26 volleyball match against San Jose State will go on as scheduled after the team’s players released an independent statement saying they would “refuse to participate in any match that advances injustice against female athletes.”
Four teams had previously canceled games against San Jose State: Boise State, Southern Utah, Utah State and Wyoming, with none of the schools explicitly saying why they were forfeiting.
“We demand that our right to safety and fair competition on the court be upheld,” read the Nevada players’ statement, which the university said Monday was released the day prior without consultation with school officials.
The Republican governors of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming have made public statements in support of the cancellations, citing a need for fairness in women’s sports.
Nevada’s Republican Governor, Joe Lombardo, posted Tuesday on the social platform X that he “wholeheartedly respect the decision of the players. No student athlete should ever be pressured to play a game where they don’t feel safe — period.”
San Jose State has not made any direct comments about the politicians’ “fairness” references.
Nevada’s athletic department cited state equality laws as the reason it couldn’t back out of its match, while acknowledging most of the players said they wouldn’t take the court.
The athletic department also stated the university is “governed by federal law as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, which include providing competition in an inclusive and supportive environment.”
Nevada’s Republican lieutenant governor also supported a cancellation before the school corrected its course.
The athletic department said players will not be subject to disciplinary action if they refuse to participate in the match.
“The players’ decision and statement were made independently, and without consultation with the University or the athletic department,” Nevada athletics’ statement read. “The players’ decision also does not represent the position of the University.”
Nevada senior Sia Liilii told OutKick the team was upset with its athletic department.
“We decided that we’re going to stand in solidarity with other teams that have already forfeited and that we wouldn’t participate in a game that advances sex-based discrimination or injustice against female athletes,” Liilii told the website.
The cancellations could cause some teams to not qualify for the conference tournament Nov. 27-30 in Las Vegas.
___
AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports
veryGood! (32942)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Dakota Fanning Shares Reason She and Sister Elle Fanning Aren't Competitive About Movie Roles
- Will and Jada Pinkett Smith Make First Joint Red Carpet Appearance Since Separation Announcement
- Jax Taylor Addresses Dating Rumors After Being Spotted With Another Woman Amid Brittany Cartwright Split
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 14 Hong Kong pro-democracy activists convicted of subversion
- 'Courageous' Minneapolis officer remembered after fatal shooting; suspected shooter dead
- Reading the ‘tea leaves': TV networks vamp for time during the wait for the Donald Trump verdict
- Sam Taylor
- 5 killed in fiery crash on South Carolina road in coastal area, police say
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- 1.5 million Medline portable bed rails recalled after 2 women killed at care facilities
- Jennie Garth Shares How Body Image Struggles Have Led to Unhealthy Habits
- Boeing shows feds its plan to fix aircraft safety 4 months after midair blowout
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- 81-year-old man accused of terrorizing California neighborhood for years with slingshot is found dead days after arrest
- Actor Nick Pasqual accused of stabbing ex-girlfriend multiple times arrested at U.S.-Mexico border
- Trump, Biden debate will face obstacles in bypassing commission, co-chair predicts
Recommendation
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Maui Council budgets $300,000 to study impacts of eliminating 7,000 vacation rentals
Google makes fixes to AI-generated search summaries after outlandish answers went viral
Minneapolis police chief shares anger with fellow officers over ambush death of one of their own
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Clouds, high winds hamper efforts to rescue 2 climbers on North America’s tallest peak
Lenny Kravitz Reveals He's Celibate Nearly a Decade After Last Serious Relationship
‘War on coal’ rhetoric heats up as Biden seeks to curb pollution with election looming