Current:Home > MarketsWisconsin judge orders the release of records sought from fake Trump elector -Blueprint Money Mastery
Wisconsin judge orders the release of records sought from fake Trump elector
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:10:08
A Wisconsin judge on Friday ordered the state elections commission to release all records it has related to one of its Republican members and his role as one of 10 people who posed as fake electors in 2020 for former President Donald Trump.
The lawsuit, filed by a union leader represented by the liberal firm Law Forward, sought commission records related to Robert Spindell and comments he made about his role as a fake elector. Spindell is one of three Republican state elections commission members.
Fake electors met in Wisconsin and six other battleground states where Trump was defeated in 2020, attempting to cast ballots for the former president even though he lost. Republicans who participated in Wisconsin said they were trying to preserve Trump’s legal standing in case courts overturned his defeat.
The role of those fake electors, particularly in Wisconsin, was central to the federal indictment against Trump released this week. Trump pleaded not guilty Thursday to trying to overturn the results of his 2020 election loss.
Law Forward filed a complaint with the Wisconsin Elections Commission in 2021 saying the fake electors broke the law. The commission voted unanimously in a closed meeting to reject that complaint, saying the fake electors did not violate any election laws. Spindell did not recuse himself from considering the complaint, even though he voted as one of the fake GOP electors.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice agreed with Trump allies and the fake electors and concluded that Republicans were legitimately trying to preserve his legal standing as courts were deciding if he or Biden won the election.
In May, another state judge ordered the elections commission to reconsider its vote rejecting the complaint. Dane County Circuit Judge Frank Remington ruled that Spindell should not have taken part in the initial discussion and vote because he was targeted in the complaint.
The commission has not yet issued a new decision.
Law Forward alleged in its lawsuit that the commission failed to turn over records requested multiple times under Wisconsin’s open records law. The firm sought documents related to a comment Spindell made during the public portion of a November 2021 commission meeting where he openly discussed his decision not to recuse himself. The commission had been considering the request in closed session only, which made Spindell’s comments unusual.
Specifically, Law Forward asked for communications surrounding material that Spindell appeared to be reading from during the meeting. According to the lawsuit, the elections commission provided a single document that resembled what Spindell read from and said Spindell had no other related records.
The commission argued that the records are in Spindell’s possession, not the commission’s.
“This argument is nonsensical,” Dane County Circuit Judge Jacob Frost ruled on Friday. “Records held by WEC commissioners are in the custody of WEC and must be provided in response to a records request.”
He gave the commission until Sept. 8 to “perform a complete review and produce all records in its possession, whether held by staff or commissioners” that aren’t otherwise exempt from the open records law.
Commission spokesperson Riley Vetterkind had no comment on the ruling.
Law Forward attorney Scott Thompson praised it.
“Most of us believe in open and transparent government,” Thompson said. “This is doubly true as we seek to gather more information about those who sought to undermine the will of the people.”
Law Forward brought the case on behalf of Paul Sickel, executive director of the Service Employees International Union’s Wisconsin State Council.
The firm has also filed another lawsuit against the 10 electors and Trump attorneys Kenneth Chesebro and Jim Troupis seeking $2.4 million in damages. That case, which is pending, alleges Trump and his allies conspired to overturn his loss in the battleground state.
veryGood! (9799)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Dave Coulier Says He's OK If This Is the End Amid Stage 3 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Battle
- 'Cowboy Carter' collaborators to be first country artists to perform at Rolling Loud
- Hurricane forecasters on alert: November storm could head for Florida
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Biden, Harris participate in Veterans Day ceremony | The Excerpt
- Louisiana mom arrested for making false kidnapping report after 'disagreement' with son
- Colorado police shot, kill mountain lion after animal roamed on school's campus
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Amazon Best Books of 2024 revealed: Top 10 span genres but all 'make you feel deeply'
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Catholic bishops urged to boldly share church teachings — even unpopular ones
- Supreme Court seems likely to allow class action to proceed against tech company Nvidia
- Gun groups sue to overturn Maine’s new three-day waiting period to buy firearms
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- RHOP's Candiace Dillard Bassett Gives Birth, Shares First Photos of Baby Boy
- GM recalls 460k cars for rear wheel lock-up: Affected models include Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac
- Hurricane forecasters on alert: November storm could head for Florida
Recommendation
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Congress is revisiting UFOs: Here's what's happened since last hearing on extraterrestrials
Vogue Model Dynus Saxon Charged With Murder After Stabbing Attack
Walmart Planned to Remove Oven Before 19-Year-Old Employee's Death
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Birth control and abortion pill requests have surged since Trump won the election
Dave Coulier Says He's OK If This Is the End Amid Stage 3 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Battle
Dave Coulier Says He's OK If This Is the End Amid Stage 3 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Battle